Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling the trigger and trading my 35's to 37's. I run 4:10's with an auto. The weight of the set-up on there now is 123lbs and what I am going to weighs 114lbs. I plan on regearing to 5:38's but it will probably be 6 months or so before I get that done. Am I taking a huge risk by running this for 6 months before I can regear? Thanks, Jon.

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
I am pulling the trigger and trading my 35's to 37's. I run 4:10's with an auto. The weight of the set-up on there now is 123lbs and what I am going to weighs 114lbs. I plan on regearing to 5:38's but it will probably be 6 months or so before I get that done. Am I taking a huge risk by running this for 6 months before I can regear? Thanks, Jon.
Don't even stress about the gearing for 6 months.

You should add a transmission cooler, regardless.

I ran 37's on 373's for a year and added a cooler half way through that year. So you don't need to worry really...

KM2's are a good choice for a lightweight 37" tire if you had to be concerned with weight issues.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pluke. I ordered the Goodyear MT/R's, should be here Wednesday. Wheels are on back order for at least 2 weeks. Tranny cooler already installed. Thanks for this answer, and good to hear I will be fine with this setup for a while.

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
yeah. we recently went out this last weekend and wrote down the results from our wheeling trip as far as temperature goes...

1. sport 2010 with automatic, 2 door, 37's, 513 gearing, with a b&m tranny cooler
Results:

With an ambient temperature of 85 degrees, driving on a two hour uphill elevation, transmission temperature was at 170F coolant was 220, air intake was around 120F

2. 2012 rubicon jku with automatic, 37's, 410 gearing with the stock transmission cooler
Results:

with the same ambient temp, tranny temp was 220, coolant was 225, air intake was around 120 as well.

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
Do you have a tranny temp gauge set up?
No.

I use a wireless bluetooth adapter that plugs into the OBD2 port from below the steering column to connect with my android operating system (laptop or cell phone) by using an application called "Drive" (forum member wrote this program) we can monitor: tranny temps, coolant temp, air intake temp, and also clear codes if applicable.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Another alternative is Torque since I could never find Drive in the Market. Works great for my TJ! I got the ELM 273 obd ii adapter off of eBay for $18.

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
I also have Torque.

In Torque....

YOU CANNOT DISPLAY TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE. this is the only thing I cared about...

Where drive will let you.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
pluke the 2 said:
I also have Torque.

In Torque....

YOU CANNOT DISPLAY TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE. this is the only thing I cared about...

Where drive will let you.
Ah sounds like Drive is better for autos and JKs then.

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
Ah, there lies the deal breaker.....DRIVE it is.
Ah sounds like Drive is better for autos and JKs then.
yeah...

the only reason i bought the dongle and torque application was to monitor tranny temperature.

when i hooked everything up, it didn't work.

then i found "drive" which works and it displays my transmission temperature in both our 10' and 12'.

however, i use "toque" for displaying codes which i commonly encounter.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
pluke the 2 said:
yeah...

the only reason i bought the dongle and torque application was to monitor tranny temperature.

when i hooked everything up, it didn't work.

then i found "drive" which works and it displays my transmission temperature in both our 10' and 12'.

however, i use "toque" for displaying codes which i commonly encounter.
Is "Drive" it's full name? Nothing listed in the Market.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have both Torque and Drive. Torque has so much more monitoring features BUT it hasn't cracked the JK to read transmission temp. Drive is the only app that will read the Tranny temp at this time. Tranny temp on the Torque is coolant temp not tranny temp if it comes up at all.

I run Torque most of the time (tremendous amount of info on this app) and check in on the tranny with Drive once in a while or when towing

BOTH are great apps to have though

On a side note, if you run Torque then switch to Drive, sometime you have to reset bluetooth in the Drive settings. Don't have to do this to go back to torque

1 - 20 of 29 Posts