Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told today that even though my gear ratio is 3.21 I could still put on some 35s because my jk is a two door and it has enough power, plus I don't do off-roading much. What do you guys think ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good luck. I threw on some 35s and once I hit the interstate I immediately went to the shop And changed out my gears.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Performance is subjective. Some don't mind driving 45 MPH in the slow lane always so you need to consider your tolerance for the lack of performance on the road.

You will the ability to use top gear(s) on anything but the mildest incline. It is far from ideal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Performance is subjective. Some don't mind driving 45 MPH in the slow lane always so you need to consider your tolerance for the lack of performance on the road. You will the ability to use top gear(s) on anything but the mildest incline. It is far from ideal.
Well I do care about performance, I heard from a lot of people that 33s I can put on without a problem,but I see them too small, would I have problems with 295?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've got a Sahara JKU with 315 Duratracs for a few weeks now... Noticed a bit of difference but not too bad. She wants to cruise on the freeway around 62 - 64 mph. Seems to be the sweet spot where it rides happily. Up in the high sierras right now and performing well. Small amount of snow and mud, lots of hills and trails.

Mines a 2011 with the 3.8

·
Registered
46 Posts
35s just look right on a jku. I'm in the same boat with a jku and 3.21 gearing. I keep saying how bad could it be? Granted, the 3.6 and 3.21s have plenty of pep with the 255/18s but I'm pretty sure I would hate having 35s without a regear.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
This is old but the info. is the same:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/3-21-gear-threads-summary-list-209000.html
To put it simply- MOST people are unhappy with 3.21s and 35s. 35s WILL affect daily performance- no doubt. But as Spinlock said performance is subjective so whether or not it bothers you is hard to gauge. However OP if you're concerned about performance already I'd guess you'll be in the "most" category. You are in Florida so you don't have to worry about inclines- but most people with manuals find 6th useless; and those of us with autos find it lugging. My engine constantly upshifted too early; dropping the RPMs into the 1100ish range and making that awful drone noise. The more I tried to ignore it the more it drove me nuts. The Pentastar pep- why I bought a 2012 vs. a 2011 at the time- was gone. And that was on 33s. However I am in the minority on that (subjectively I like performance LOL) and 33s or similar are a safe bet.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I agree with most here, performance is subjective and opinions vary greatly depending on driving style, location and uses... I found my 2012 on 33's with 3.73 gears to be under powered. I would never even think about 35's on 3.21 gears. As a general trend though it's common to see 3.73 or more commonly 4.10 stated as the minimum gears for running 35's

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
BFG all terrain in 35/12.5/15 size is the lightest 35 on the market. It also has less rolling resistance than other tires. That will have the least power loss

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have 35's on a JKU with a bunch of other heavy stuff. I have the 3.21's and my last car had 550+ HP. Is the Jeep fast with the 3.21's? No. Can you live with it? Absolutely. I have put 4000 miles on it in the last two months, have driven 3+ hours on 75 MPH toll roads (while keeping my speed to 70), wheeled it on multiple 40+ mile difficult trails and even pulled a stock Rubicon out of mud. The set up is less than desirable but I do not think it is impossible to live with. As soon as I have the money, I am going to re-gear but don't think you have to do everything all at once.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Let's put it this way. If you think your Jeep is a dog now with the 3.21's you're not going to like it with 35's. If you think it's got some pep and decent power, you might be OK. Probably won't know for sure until you drive it but if you aren't happy now, 35's wont' help.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Was told today that even though my gear ratio is 3.21 I could still put on some 35s because my jk is a two door and it has enough power, plus I don't do off-roading much. What do you guys think ?
This will depend on a few things.
3.6 vs. 3.8 engine
the terrain you live in
your transmission auto (better) vs manual
Your perception of what feels right.

I have a lifted 2 door 3.6 automatic with 315 duratracs and 3.21 gears for now.
It is not impossible to drive, it is definately doggier but not undriveable for me. I dont live in a mountainous area and I dont rock crawl as there are few mountain ranges for me to play on here.

That being said I am regearing next year to 4.56.

In my case I can tolerate it but know it could be better with a little work. Good Luck.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,011 Posts
What would be the best gearing for 87 yj 4.2 L manual with 35s ?
I recommend, that you go down to the YJ section of the Forum.

Somebody will be knowledgeable down there, and will give you the correct answer.

My guess, would be a 5.13, or a 5.38, but I don't want to give you inaccurate information!!!!!!! So, I would ask them!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've got a Sahara JKU with 315 Duratracs for a few weeks now... Noticed a bit of difference but not too bad. She wants to cruise on the freeway around 62 - 64 mph. Seems to be the sweet spot where it rides happily. Up in the high sierras right now and performing well. Small amount of snow and mud, lots of hills and trails.

Mines a 2011 with the 3.8
Well, after this long weekend I've had more a chance to drive it in different situations. Flat freeways here on the coast are cool but it had a hard time with long hills at freeway speeds. Windy mountain roads you don't notice much power loss because it's relatively lower speed stuff. But man, the trip home was a long one and there was no passing semi trucks because it couldn't gain momentum fast enough. Mines a 3.8 motor with 3.73 for what it worth.

Guess it just depends on what type of driving you plan on doing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts