Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am new to this.
I am running currently 33x12.5 with a 4.1 gearing.
going down the interstate with 60 mph i ran at 1900 rpms.
is it ok to put 35x12.5 on with this gearing?

The jeep has a 4.0L in it.
The rear is a dana 44 and the front a dana 35

thanks for your help:pcwhack:

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
do you mean 4.11 gears or a transmission with 4:1 1st gear? also front axle should be a dana 30. no issue with running 4.11's and 33's..

·
Registered
688 Posts
i am running 3.73 and 35's haha. you'll have no issues with 4.10 gears. The dana 44 is fine with 35's and your front end is dana 30 not a dana 35. dana 35 is a rear axle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AHHH....
that shows you how green i am.
4.11 is the gears.
I was wondering about the difference the tires will make on the rpm and if it still has plenty of power on the highway

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you sure you have 4.10 gears? Typically only Rubicons or 4 cyl wranglers have 4.10 gears. If you have a rubicon you also have Dana 44s front and rear.

Do you have an auto or manual?

For reference, I am running 35s on a rubi 5 speed with 4.10 gearing and it does fine around town and on the highway until I hit a hill then it bogs down a bit.

On another note if you don't have a rubicon with 44s you may want to stick with 33s unless you are willing to make the many investments needed to run 35s.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a sport but has the dana 44 in the rear.
It is also a 5 speed with the 4.0 l
Can the front axel handle the 35 tires?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,412 Posts
The rear Dana 44 came with 3.73 gearing from the factory, were your axles regeared to 4.10 by the previous owner?

Yes the front axle can handle 35" tires with little or no problem. It's when you add a locker to the front axle and start doing difficult trails when it's time to upgrade the front axle's axle shafts to hardened aftermarekt alloy axle shafts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was regeared by the previous owner.
I am not planning on lockers because it is my daily driver.
I have to learn to drive it off road first.
so far the off road parks where mostly closed due to the relentless rain and with those conditions they did not allow me as first timer in there park.
hopefully this weekend i get a chance to take it to gulches.
the park is only 30 miles away from me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So the answer is to stick with the 33x12.5
Well, the answer is be prepared to make the appropriate investments to safely run 35s or stick with 33s. If you really want to run 35s go for it or you will probably regret anything smaller. Just be prepared for upgrades including axle strengthening, better brakes, possible regear and steering upgrades.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
You might want to chech your current Diffy ratios by jacking up one wheel and counting driveshaft rotations for two full tire rotations ( chalk marks on driveshaft u joints and tire help keep track)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts