Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
Depends on the tire on actual size. My cooper st max has both 315/70-17 and 35x12.5 stamped on the side.

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Every tire brand is a little different... But for the most part, using just the "sizing", the 315's will be slightly wider and the 35's will be slightly taller. Typically about 1/8"-1/4" each way.

BUT!! Tire profile has so much to do with it. My 315 Patagonia's look like a much narrower tread than many other 315's, but the section width is the full 12.5" and then some... The rounded profile gives a completely different look than a square profile tire.

On the trail? You won't know the difference, buy the one that appeals to you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
One is cheaper than the other. That's the difference.

FWIW, I just took off my worn 315/70r17 Duratracs and installed 285/75r17 KO2s. I measured the Duratracs just before the tire tech took the Jeep in and measured 33.25" at 33 PSI, 5-6/32" tread depth (about 1/4" worn). The new 285/75's measured at a true 33". Half inch between the two sizes (when new, estimated). 285s are obviously not as wide, which I massively appreciate with all the ruts in Michigan. They also just appear on the Jeep to be roughly the same diameter.

I'd expect the same looking at 35x12.5 versus 315/70, with section width being similar between the two.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
Due to what I call the imaginary wheel width rule, you may have a hard time getting a large tire chain to mount a 35x12.5 tire on a stock rim, but most likely no problems mounting a 315/70. That was the biggest buying concern for me.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Due to what I call the imaginary wheel width rule, you may have a hard time getting a large tire chain to mount a 35x12.5 tire on a stock rim, but most likely no problems mounting a 315/70. That was the biggest buying concern for me.
Interesting, lets see who chimes in about this. That being said, overall.... 35's are bigger and more expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts