Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a Wrangler with a lift and 37" 12.5 tires. i took it offroad and loved it. i need to know what i can do when it rains and streets get water puddles that sometimes are hard to avoid. last night i almost lost control when a water puddle caused my steering wheel to forcefully pull to left. should i drive in 4x4 hi in these cases? please let me know what i can do? :beerme:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
There are multiple factors in play here:

1. Wranglers have loose steering stock.

2. Lifting a wrangler amplifies the loose steering and there can be a tendency for the wheel to pull one direction or the other. Correcting steering geometry can help with this.

3. Wide tires cause more friction/drag. Hitting a puddle with them will cause them the catch more than a narrow street tire. This combined with 1 and 2 will have a factor on what you experienced.

4. If you hit a puddle in just about any vehicle while traveling at a certain amount of speed the vehicle will pull/lose control. This is called hydroplaning. Your best bet is to drive slower in wet conditions and and avoid puddles. This is really the only solution.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I do not believe hitting a puddle with one side of the car and the steering pulling that way is hydroplaning.

Always looked at hydroplaning as when the entire vehicle or at least half the tires hit water causing a complete loss of traction.

Hitting a puddle of water only one or maybe two tires might loose contact with the road however you still have control of the vehicle. It's just the deceleration of the one side of the vehicle that causes the tug of the wheel

Putting the vehicle in AWD/4HI will not help, only thing that will help is slow down and drive properly or I guess safely for whatever the conditions are. You need to fix the nut behind the wheel and not the Jeep itself

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Just slow down. I've had this same effect in ANY vehicle I've driven if the puddles are deep enough. I used to live in Seattle so I've had plenty of rain driving experience in all kinds of vehicles. Wider tires will tend to amplify it more as well, but any vehicle can have this same issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts