Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has a tire question ever been asked on here before? Lol.

Debating between 37 TOYOs and 40 Pro comps. I have a 2011 with a bunch of goodies and axle armor and I'm ready for the upgrade. Is the jump from 37 to 40 THAT significant on performance? I went from 32s to 35s and barely noticed. On my 35s I can still accelerate quick and have driven 95-100 smoothly on the highway. Talk me into one! I want to make up my mind already.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
I think you're grossly underestimating what it takes to run 40s.

• At least 5.5" of quality lift height
  • D60s are a must
  • 3.8 motor won't cut it, even with a S/C
  • Drive shafts
  • Gearing
  • Pinch seam trimming
  • Brake upgrades

All just my opinion based on friends that run 40s. I've watched them crater rock jock 60s, transmissions, gears, etc. They've moved from S/C 3.8s to LS3s/Hemis/etc.

Your Jeep, your choice. Just understand the costs that go along with running 40s. It's quite substantial.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Toyo 37's

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
40's are like 15" wide ?
40" toyos on a 17" wheel are around 13" wide. much narrower than the 37" toyo. I've had both. MUCH narrower.

Better have 60's under there
nope. but a stock 44 won't last. an after market 44 would be okay. my tf44 did fine and I put that axle through a lot. have to be smart. even with 60s you have to be smart. nothing is indestructible

I think you're grossly underestimating what it takes to run 40s.

• At least 5.5" of quality lift height
  • D60s are a must
  • 3.8 motor won't cut it, even with a S/C
  • Drive shafts
  • Gearing
  • Pinch seam trimming
  • Brake upgrades

All just my opinion based on friends that run 40s. I've watched them crater rock jock 60s, transmissions, gears, etc. They've moved from S/C 3.8s to LS3s/Hemis/etc.

Your Jeep, your choice. Just understand the costs that go along with running 40s. It's quite substantial.

Good luck :thumb:
I ran 5.38 gears with the 40" tires. 35 spline shafts. no issues. trussed the rear axle and a tf44 front axle. wheeled it pretty hard I'd say. had an issue with the rear pinion bearing crapping out in Georgia but preload wasn't set right. you will need an honest 5" of lift and a lot of trimming in the rear fender well was required.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What axle goodies do you have? :popcorn:
rear 44 is stock. I have Krawl driveshafts, front is trussed/gusseted and nitro sleeved. Gears and shafts are cryogenically treated. RK track bar, EVO flipped DL, stock tie rod (15s doesn't fit much). It's a 30. I honestly baby relative to you guys. It's a show vehicle for our company and will be on display at some of the bigger events like Jeep beach. I might play with it, but lightly. I'm keeping the axle shafts stock now because I want them to be the fail point. Anything else you guys can think of? To the guy talking about lift I'm running Rock Krawlers 3.5 flex system. I have a ton of room, and will add small spacers if needed. I'm moving to coilovers in the front in April so I can adjust the front and use a spacer in the rear.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Maybe some Pitbull Maddog 38.5's?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Has a tire question ever been asked on here b On my 35s I can still accelerate quick and have driven 95-100 smoothly on the highway. !
Assuming you are referring to MPH and not distance, I am guessing your perception of smooth performance is pretty forgiving. Not sure I would consider a stock JK to be smooth or safe at 95-100.

I have nothing to offer with regard to 37's v 40's. Except for mathematically it's a big jump when you consider 40's are typically going to add width along with weight and resistance/leverage forces exponentially.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Assuming you are referring to MPH and not distance, I am guessing your perception of smooth performance is pretty forgiving. Not sure I would consider a stock JK to be smooth or safe at 95-100. I have nothing to offer with regard to 37's v 40's. Except for mathematically it's a big jump when you consider 40's are typically going to add width along with weight and resistance/leverage forces exponentially.
I am very forgiving. Im a college student who started with a 97 TJ and now am on a 2011 JK. Jeeps are all I've driven, and this 2011 is much smoother, not to mention I have some of the most expensive shocks I could find to try to smooth it out, lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
I don't like the look of the Tread. TOYOs are definitely flashy. maybe the Pitbull rockers. 38s are usually wide which I bought would be harsher on the handling and wear
Rockers are probably a better look than Maddog's, but I find the Toyo's bland and boring... And I really like Toyo tires.

Just goes to show you "eye of the beholder".

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
The 3.8 engine - no way. Even with D60 axles. You just can't gear low enough to get the real benefit of those size tires. Unless you are ready for an engine swap.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
What about 38x14.5x17 Goodyear MTRs? Am I better off just going with 37 or 40?
I havent gotten there yet with my MTR's but if what everyone else says about them is true, you would not want a 14.5'' lol. From show standpoint i think the MTR's look awesome. Im opening my own off road shop this year so when you say show i would think you'd want to appeal to the general publics abilities? when i see a sick jeep i want to be able to make it, Build it right on 37's and when at the show, show what it can do not how big it is standing there. Also everyone ragged on him initially but theres a lot of good info in the Hulk smash build? I think thats the title, but he's on 40's. Thornbirds look sick to btw, shit drive on bias ply but hey its a jeep :winner:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts