Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running 35/1250/20s on a Rugged Ridge XHD Matte Black wheel with Rim Protectors powder coated in yellow.

This forum tho...

Damn this forum for making me want 37s

So today I mounted 37/1250/17s Atturo Trail Blade Boss MT on GRID Off Road GD4s

What an adjustment....
Pros:
  • 37s fill the wheel wells better
  • The ride is solid. Like Tank solid, yet soft. I like it
Cons:
  • Mud Terrain looks a bit "Swamper-ish"
  • Bigger Tire, smaller wheel change is drastic. Tire looks more ballooned out
  • The GD4s ordered were supposed to be Matte Black so I could do yellow accents. Wrong wheels sent.

Please weigh in and let me know your thoughts. Personally I think I like the way it looked before. If the wheels were matte black, and I had the accents I wanted, I may not feel so , blah about the whole transition.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Looks rugged...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, I like the after pic. Agree a different rim may make a world of difference. Then yellow accent in the before pic makes it look a little "preppy"...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So @BoxerMobileJK you went from the lower image (yellow accents) to the more pronounced black wheels/tires in the first image.. if this is the case, better move.. the yellow accented wheels look "Jerry Rigged" (use your imagination on what words could have been used instead of jerry rigged)..

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think it is the rims that throw the "look" off. The originals look bigger than the new one's. Too bad you couldn't use the same rims.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pinch seem rubbing on right rear.

Will need to cut or bend ASAP

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is the rims that throw the "look" off. The originals look bigger than the new one's. Too bad you couldn't use the same rims.

Seriously. That is what started the whole thing. The tires are only available today in 17 wheel sizes. Had they had larger, I may have stayed with a 20, and then I could just swap out the rubber on the same wheel.

Or gone with an 18 which might not have been so drastic.

Reactions: KevinW

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So @BoxerMobileJK you went from the lower image (yellow accents) to the more pronounced black wheels/tires in the first image.. if this is the case, better move.. the yellow accented wheels look "Jerry Rigged" (use your imagination on what words could have been used instead of jerry rigged)..

Yep. Lower image with yellow accents is what it looked like before.
Upper Image is now.

Regarding the whole Jerry Rigged thing, LOL.. I added the yellow rim protectors about 8 months after the initial wheel install. People at my work were calling it "Spongebob" after I powder coated them.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I like yellow. Just be sure you have done or are prepared to do all of the other supporting mods to run that size tire. I glanced through your build thread and mostly see appearance mods.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like yellow. Just be sure you have done or are prepared to do all of the other supporting mods to run that size tire. I glanced through your build thread and mostly see appearance mods.
100% True.
I am beyond fortunate having a job in the industry so other mods like regear, driveline enhancements are all well within reach.

I am going to keep them through the Bantam Jeep fest, and trim the seam in rear so I dont slice them up.

I have a Rubicon 8 arm kit to go on shortly and guys, correct me if I am wrong but that should also restore some length to my wheel base as I am running just a Spring kit...

I did reach out to my contact at Grid to see if Black swap would be an option.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
At first glance-
Before: Looked a bit too bumble-bee-ish, with too much window dressing.
After: Looks like it's ready to hit the trails and kick some ass.
^^^Bingo as for the wheels, I would have the company send the correct ones with RMA postage and a credit on the remount.

But IMO the "balloon" look is the way to go

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I like it. But my local shop has had some bad experiences with Atturo tires.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Yes a full control arm kit will allow you to move your rear wheels backwards.

Black 17s look way better than yellow 20s.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For sure it is a personal taste thing, but the before look with the Wrangler on gang-banger wheels and tires does not appeal to me at all. The after looks how a Wrangler should look... like it is about to run over and destroy some stuff. The after is all good. The before... not for me.

Reactions: BoxerMobileJK
1 - 20 of 36 Posts