Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was running 35" tires on my 3.73s. Ran it that way for almost a year. I've got an automatic. It really wasn't bad. There was a noticeable power loss, and fuel mileage loss but it was doable. I finally re-geared a few weeks ago to 4.56 gears and i'm more than pleased with those. I got my stock power back plus a little more. And it helped the fuel mileage as well

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Is anybody running 35" tires with 3.73 gear ratio? Bad idea? I have a manual with 3.73 gears and am thinking about it but I've heard it's a bad idea. Any info would be great!
3.8L? Bad idea.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Yeah I have. 3.8L. I have 35's on there right now and it's not terrible.
I have 37's (Nittos) with the 3.6L and it's "not terrible" either, but this is temporary. Depends on your terrain and what you're doing too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 37's (Nittos) with the 3.6L and it's "not terrible" either, but this is temporary. Depends on your terrain and what you're doing too.
Ok. Yeah with the difference between the 3.8L and the 3.6L I'm worried it will bog it down too much. It's mostly a DD btw.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yeah I have. 3.8L. I have 35's on there right now and it's not terrible.
I'm lost. Are you wanting to run 37s, your first post says 35s.

I ran 35s on 3.73 in my 2010 2dr manual. It sucked and I went to 4.56 after a year. 37s sounds miserable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I read a lot that so many feel it's doable. I think too many people neglect to consider the huge strain that it puts on the tranny. Maybe that's a factor to the known tranny failures? I run 5:13s on 37s (3.8 liter) and its painful as is.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
sorry, I am thinking about 37's. I already have 35's.
I would stop thinking about 37s unless you plan to regear. Seriously. I would instead regear for your 35s and try to get a little power back.

I read a lot that so many feel it's doable. I think too many people neglect to consider the huge strain that it puts on the tranny. Maybe that's a factor to the known tranny failures? I run 5:13s on 37s (3.8 liter) and its painful as is.
Not saying its anyone in this post, but generally folks mainly just dont want to spend the money to do things right so they try to justify it however they can. "My 3.73 with 35s/37s is just like stock".....ummm, no it isnt. And yes it is stressing the engine and transmission to run the wrong gearing - folks overlook this. Big tires are more than just an "appearance package" - they have mechanical implications as well that should be addressed.

The 5.13 on the 3.6 with 37s on the other hand is a "performance" ratio and really sweet.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree. 37s on 3.73s will do more damage than good. You'll definitely need to regear to 4.88s or 5.13s.

You'll also want to have a front D44 or beef up the D30 if that's what you have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts