Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happens mostly at take off from a stop and becomes quiter and intermittent once I stop accelerating. Looking for all possible causes and fixes. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
First to come to mind is serpentine belt and idler pulleys. Serpentine belt and related items is covered under 5/60000 warranty or 5/100000 if 2015 and older

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree that it's most likely the serpantine belt
My 2011 needed a replacement. Became noisy when accelerating, and was most abundant when it got wet (when it rained or after I washed the Jeep).
Pretty cheap replacement and with your 2012 (that's what your profile says you drive), even if that turns out not to be the cause, it definitely doesn't hurt to get a new belt on there

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
what year is your rig is it a 3.6L or 3.8L?

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
I would only go with OEM mopar belt and pulleys.

Reactions: pkdailey4

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I'll be the dumbass of the day. I still have no idea which pully-pullies to buy. Do I replace one? All of em? Ive'never replaced this stuff before. Just want to get it right. I'm not intentionally trying to be a PITA

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
well I am not there listening to your engine so I can't say. pull the serpentine belt and spin the idler pulleys. open the hood and look inside the engine bay and pinpoint where the squeal is coming from. If it is beyond your ability you might just take to a shop. I have found mechanic stethoscopes are cheap and work great but again unless someone is there who knows what you need to replace. it could the the water pump making the noise.

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
It could also be something totally different so just throwing parts at it is not the answer find out where the noise is coming from then fix it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice. I am capable of doing the work myself and prefer to do so. I also thought of the water pump. I'll take your advice and remove the belt and check the pullies for noise. I appreciate your time and thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
a long breaker bar works to release the tension on the tensioner if you don't have a special tool.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a long breaker bar works to release the tension on the tensioner if you don't have a special tool.
How hard do you need to pull? I'm using a 2' breaker and nothing moves. I don't want to crack the aluminum body on the tensioner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts