Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased my TJ roughly about 3 weeks ago now and I’m trying to take it back to stock height. Currently it has a 3 inch body mount lift that I’m not a huge fan of. What all steps do I need to take to remove it and replace with stock body mounts? Also does anyone know a good replacement body mount kit to buy? I’m also weighing my options of just having a local shop do it.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
My recommendation is buy a 1.25" body lift kit... will include everything you need.... not stock but far more reasonable than the 3" bl

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I was in the exact same boat! When I first got my 05 Rubicon, I REALLY wanted to get rid of my 3" body lift and go with the 1.5" body lift/3" suspension lift that is frequently recommended on all the forums.

Fortunately for me, I really had to give priority to other repairs for safety and reliability before I could think of doing something to the lift situation.

Here is my advice, based on my own experience...
Hold off on swapping out that 3" BL just a little longer!
Take advantage of all that extra clearance between the body, firewall, frame and drive train while you have it.

Access to things like the rear bolts on the valve cover, crank position sensor, catalytic converters and exhaust have all kinds of room to work that is not there when stock or 1" lifts are there.

I was able to replace my entire exhaust, including the catalytic converters without having to drop my transfer skid plate. That saved me tons of time and effort on that job alone!

I also did a new gasket on my valve cover. Easy-peasy! All kinds of room back there on those last couple of bolts that are normally in a tight spot by the fire wall.

I still plan to change my lift out for the 1.5"/3" set-up, but not just yet.

If you delay just a little longer, you could make life easier on some of the other jobs to be done.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,621 Posts
Just purchased my TJ roughly about 3 weeks ago now and I’m trying to take it back to stock height. Currently it has a 3 inch body mount lift that I’m not a huge fan of. What all steps do I need to take to remove it and replace with stock body mounts? Also does anyone know a good replacement body mount kit to buy? I’m also weighing my options of just having a local shop do it.
Depends on your kit, but all I needed to buy when I removed my 2" Rough Country body lift was:
x6 of https://www.quadratec.com/products/55008_1019.htm ($33)
x5 of https://www.quadratec.com/products/55008_1018.htm ($25)

Few things you'll have to adjust:
-Fuel tank hose was most likely extended for the 3" lift, that extension will need to be removed or a new oem length hose.
-Remove radiator drop brackets, or remount the fan shroud at oem height, depending on how the PO dealt with that.
-Mine had an extension on the steering linkage (right behind the drive front wheel), remove and remount.
-4wd linkage will need to be loosened when you remove the lift, then re-adjusted. Super easy, plenty of youtube videos on it. Takes about 5 minutes.
-Your shift rod will move 3". So if PO put an extension on that (right beneath the boot is common) you'll want to take that off, or you may have to get a new shift rod or cut yours if the PO replaced it. If it is an automatic, I'm not sure how they deal with body lifts.

Think that's all it took to remove mine. Watch a couple body lift removal videos to guide you. Do one side at a time so you don't shift the tub/frame too much. I removed mine by myself with a couple basic jacks, wasn't very difficult.

You may need to start soaking your body mount bolts in some good penetrating oil so you don't spin a nutsert...they can get rusty and seize up.

I was so happy once I took off my body lift. Drives and looks better. Pictures of my before/after:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts