Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up y'all?

3rd gear sometimes grinds with clutch fully depressed. Occasionally it will not synchronized and refuses to go into gear. 5th pretty much grinds every time I attempt to enter the gear.

Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Most likely syncros. My 4th and 5th were completely shot. I did learn that if, when you shift up, hesitate between gears for just about 1-2 seconds, it goes in easier. To shift down I found it necessary to double clutch, and it would go smoothly.
I did just rebuild my AX-15, but am now in the process of re-installing it, so it'll be just a bit before I'll know if I was successful.
Here's what completely shot syncros look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
yep, rebuild time. And run 10/30 motor oil in it not GL5 like the idiots at Jeep wrote in the manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me know how the rebuild goes! I plan on doing a taking it apart this weekend for a better look. This definitely helps me know what to look for!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rollercoaster

After I rode the rollercoaster of bolt head sizes and types, we got it off! Tearing down this week to figure out the details. I am assuming all yj's have this crappy bolt issue. I swear there were 5 different bolt heads and sizes:awesome:

·
Registered
445 Posts
If and when you disassemble your transmission, you will be removing the shaft that holds the shifter housing. It comes out the back by removing a plug and slides out. Mark the direction it goes it as you can install that backwards. If you do, 1st 3rd and 5th gears will not engage. Ask me how I know this.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts