Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to the tire shop and got my 33" spare mounted on the rim and well go figure the light is in the way

I just wondered how hard it is going to be and what needs to be done to remove the brake lite and the wiring

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
If you don't plan on reinstalling, it's VERY easy! All you need to do is pull the plastic mount off the tailgate, and cut the wires behind the switch contact on the door. Should only take about 10 minutes including putting away your tools...

·
Registered
191 Posts
No need to remove it, just "lift" it.
I got a couple of 3" long PVC hose couplers at the hardware store, cut them in half, stuck in some longer bolts - done!

Here's a write-up on how to do it.

btw, bookmark that site - he's got great write-ups.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Tdad said:
No need to remove it, just "lift" it.
I got a couple of 3" long PVC hose couplers at the hardware store, cut them in half, stuck in some longer bolts - done!

Here's a write-up on how to do it.

btw, bookmark that site - he's got great write-ups.
Excellent. Now I'm wondering if a 33 will fit on the studs that mount it up on the TJ. I know I can barely get my 31 spare on my YJ. I actually had to mount it on the bracket, then air it up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
amerijeep said:
Excellent. Now I'm wondering if a 33 will fit on the studs that mount it up on the TJ. I know I can barely get my 31 spare on my YJ. I actually had to mount it on the bracket, then air it up.
That's determined by your backspacing, not tire size.
My 32x11.50 sits so far off the tailgate, I had to add spacers to the rubber bumpers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts