Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2006 TJ is the 4.0 with 78k miles. Manual Transmission.I just bought it last month and this is my first jeep. Very strong engine with only one complaint:
if I am doing a "quicker" acceleration and shifting at the 27-2800 RPM all is good except for when I hit 3rd gear, soon as I release the clutch it feels as if it Boggs down for a second or two and ten snaps out of it and continues accelerating like normal. All gears accelerate just like they should. Just this weak spot early in in third gear.

On the other hand if I am driving slower and shifting at the 18-2000 RPM then it is a slow gradual acceleration without any weak spots even in 3rd gear.

Should I worry about this? Is it normal?

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is strange. You might try changing the gear oil. I would use the MOPAR oil.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
What happens if you shift into 3rd a little higher on the RPM scale? What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happens if you shift into 3rd a little higher on the RPM scale? What size tires are you running?
Good Question, should have added I am running brand new BFG 31x10.5x15 AT KO. It's less noticeable if I push it up to 31-3200 RPM. But my standard sweet spot of 24-27 gets the bog down in power for just a 1-2 second period then peps right up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts