Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a coversion kit for my jk and its easier to install than any out there. Only two holes need to be drilled thru the body.
Pics coming. The seat fits in nicely even if you have the factory sub in the back. Works great if youve got a bigger family.
Email me for questions or ordering.
[email protected]

·
Registered
772 Posts
Do you threaten your kids that if they don't behave you will make them sit in the third row without the protection of the roll cage?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Do you threaten your kids that if they don't behave you will make them sit in the third row without the protection of the roll cage?
I would be more worried with them being in the crumple zone and in a seat with seat belts not engineered for that vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seat bracket mounts ahead of the crumple zone for the rear area. And to be honest no ones buys a jeep because they are concerned with crumple zones. Google search wrecked jk's the factory roll bar isnt much insurance for any passenger either. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
^ well played. Unfortunately I only have a Jk but if I had a JKU I could see this being handy feature/mod. Good luck on selling it ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will def post pics. Have to do some detailing. One word. "Kids" :)
My boys love sitting back there with dvd players i dont hear a peep.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I opened this thread and I saw what I expected to see, people talking about how unsafe a third row is. I'm rather over it.

I'm actually interested in putting in a third row and I've been doing some preliminary research. It seems that every single one of these threads gets derailed and turned into a safety debate.

My goal is to put an end to these safety comments. I hope that on this thread and future third row threads, that we will talk less about the safety aspect (unless it is about coming up with the safest possible configuration) and more about the best possible third row configurations, materials, etc.

The first point I will make is that nobody wants to hear parenting advice from someone else. For the posters who deem the third row to be a catastrophically unsafe, I'm sure there is at least one thing that you allow your children to do, that someone else in the world would find as catastrophically unsafe. Do your kids ride bikes on public roads? Do they sometimes not wear a helmet? Do they walk to school on their own? Play football? Hockey? Have you gone out and had a drink or two then drove your kids in the back seat? These are things some parents would find to be extremely dangerous. Do you want to hear them scold you for it?

The second point is I want to make is that you do not know how someone would use the third row. Hypothetical situation: What if there was a family of 7 and they lived on the beach and the only time they ever planned to use the jeep as a family was to drive on the beach with no other motor vehicles. They really wanted to comfortably fit the whole family in the Jeep once in a while. Would you say they are bad parents for letting two of their kids ride in the third row rear facing in a professionally installed seat that is inside the roll cage?

I am the father of 2 and hope to have more children. If I have a family of 6 or 7, I want to be able to take them all out in my Jeep in the summer and drive to town. I wouldn't be going on the highway. I wouldn't be going faster than 30 miles per hour. I wouldn't be using the seats more than 15-20 times a year on trips 5 miles or less. I'd be driving on country roads I've driven on thousands of times and know very well. There would be very few cars on the roads with me. I wouldn't let anyone else's kids in the third row without permission from their parents. I'd argue (and would have a hard time believing someone who tried to argue against me) that children in an aftermarket third row for a short period of time at slow speeds are exponentially safer than children in the second row of a jk or jku on a long highway trip at highway speeds.

In general, are my children less safe by riding in the third row of a wrangler vs the second row? Yes. Are they less safe if I let them play football vs tennis? Yes. Parents will make safety decisions on the risks and rewards associated with them. I believe that there would be very little risk using a third row for short trips at slow speeds on roads that are not well traveled for a handful of times a year.

If you do not agree with me I am happy to debate further. Please PM me and I will create a new thread. However, I would appreciate if we could keep this thread (and future threads like it) on topic so I can continue to research to find the best and safest third row option available.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is a religious debate... there's no right or wrong here. Some people live their lives very conservatively... some fly by the seat of their pants...

To me, 3rd row of a JKU is exactly the same risk as riding in the back of a 2-door JK. So if you want to deem them both unsafe... so be it.
I'm the kind of person who let's my boys play football... call me reckless

·
Registered
566 Posts
We have 4 rows, but the conversion price was nuts...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
This is a religious debate... there's no right or wrong here. Some people live their lives very conservatively... some fly by the seat of their pants... To me, 3rd row of a JKU is exactly the same risk as riding in the back of a 2-door JK. So if you want to deem them both unsafe... so be it. I'm the kind of person who let's my boys play football... call me reckless
I agree on the Jk, Wouldn't be any closer to the rear in a jku with a 3rd row.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the comments. Both good and bad. Without the negative criticism we would not have many of the products and advances in technology.
No single product is explicitly perfect nor do they fit for everyone. That was not the intended point of starting this thread. The point was to gain wants and needs. And to help those that would use and need the third row option.
I looked for about six months for something online and was not impressed with what i found. So me being a fabricator with 15 years experience decided to research the safety concerns of my own, engineering designs of the unibody and frame. And i also watched hours of crash test videos.
Conclusion: as someone previously stated no different than a two door with a back seat. There is no such thing as a perfect mouse trap.And it is user preference as well as the DIY ease of installation.
However for those who are the nonrisk takers I could build you a jku or jk that would parallel the presidents caddy. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey devnul, how did you do a 4th row? And what were the costs. The things i found were utterly ridiculous cost wise

·
Registered
46 Posts
Every time I hear these kind of debates I can't help but remember when I was young and used to ride around in the back of pick up trucks with one or more of my friends dads driving. Yet, we survived. Other things that were normal then.

Go to the bus stop by yourself
Play football in the street
Ride our bikes without helmets with someone on the front handles
shoot each other with bb guns (no goggles, no face masks, no helmets)
Fight in school
Hang upside down on the monkey bars until you fell off on your head
Squeeze each other from behind until we passed out

LOL

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey devnul, how did you do a 4th row? And what were the costs. The things i found were utterly ridiculous cost wise
Added the second Jeep. Needs 2 drivers but so do firetrucks and I always wanted to be a firefighter.

Costs were about an additional $45k

·
Registered
71 Posts
Funny but if the 3rd row seats are rear facing (back to back with 2nd row) then they are farther in the vehicle then a lot of mini-vans with 3rd rows. My friend just got a new mini-van and with the kids in the 3rd row they are maybe 13" from the rear bumper. It doesnt seem safe to me but it had to have passed crash tests. The only thing that would suck with a 3rd row in a JKU is the distance from the seat cushion to the floor. depending on the height of the child there could be some serious knee bending

1 - 20 of 36 Posts