Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you may remember the the ‘95 2.5 YJ I bought with the intention of parting out. After looking it over, I brought it back from the dead, and ultimately my hardcore early Bronco friend Mike drove it and actually LIKED it! A Jeep!

Anyway, Mike has seen me build a number of vehicles over the years, including 6 or 7 Jeeps, the majority being powered by some version of a small block Chevrolet. My current “keeper” ‘92 YJ still has a 4.0, and although the ‘95 runs and drives impeccable, Mike has driven mine a number of times and really wants the ‘95 to run like my ‘92.

That being said, we will be swapping the 2.5/AX-5 combo for a ‘94 4.0/AX-15 sourced from an XJ. I have performed these exact swaps previously, although the last time was in 2007, so it will be a decent refresher.

I will try to document and photograph all the necessary differences/modifications including (but obviously not limited to) frame mounts, skid plate, XJ to YJ accessory brackets, driveshafts, harnesses, etc.

We will be gasketing the 4.0, installing a fresh timing set and all the external wear items. Additionally, already have a new stainless JBA header, head pipe, and exhaust system ready to go, along with a fresh Magnaflow catalytic converter. I will also at some point provide a complete parts list necessary to facilitate the swap for anyone who may not have done it previously.

Please note I am deep in a CJ-7 resto-mod for another friend, as well as unfinished things on my ‘92 (among other ever changing projects), so we are going to do this at Mike’s house rather than at my shop. Going back old school and doing it in a garage with no lift.

Meager beginnings, with more to come:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the trans. and transfer case cleaned up. Discovered a crack in the T/C case so it will be coming apart and getting a refresh and a case half. Will detail the indexing of the t/c as it goes back together (donor drivetrain was XJ so t/c indexing is not the same as the Wranglers).

Got the engine down to the longblock, lot of carbon build up in the intake tract. Appears the o2 wiring was butchered and inop; so who knows where the air/fuel mixture was, and for how long. Have some basic freshening to do on a bunch of stuff before we disassemble the Jeep. Too nice of a driver to have it disassembled any longer than necessary.

Going to finish up the cleaning, get timing and gasket sets ordered up, get the longblock looking good, and move on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I got it down to the longblock, the carbon buildup in the cylinder head and intake was too great to ignore. The wiring to the O2 sensor was butchered, and looked to have been that way for some time. Cheap ass gas, driving like a Grandma, air/fuel mixture out of whack to the fat side: coke oven in the making.

Pulled the head for a visit to my favorite automotive machine shop for a valve job, surface, and fresh stem seals.

Last pic is looking into the intake at the injector seat. Good news is there is absolutely zero ridge in the bores, cross hatching is still present, and the bearings look amazing.

Attachments

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts pile grows...

New oil pan, all new cooling system components (water pump, thermostat and housing, hoses, fan clutch), new flywheel, all new temp; pressure, position senders/sensors, valve cover (remember, I am not choosing the colors), and complete JBA stainless header, down pipe, exhaust system. Should have the cylinder head back by the end of the week, and if I have time I will longblock it and tin it up this weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir.
And if we strike up a deal, I would be willing to go pull it.
Nah the A/C is staying in this one with the 4.0 swap. I charged it and ran it through the wringer when I did the head and cooling system parts.

I recently sold the entire A/C system out of one of the YJ’s I parted, I am sure it won’t be the last.

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did Father’s Day Stuff with my little girls yesterday, since they both had to work today. Had a couple extra hours so I went to Mike’s house and longblocked and tinned up the 4.0 for him.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will look good when it gets closer to complete....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the red looks good, breaks up the black and goes with the aluminum.
You can tell Mike that when he is helping R & R your engine. It will make his day.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been traveling for work a lot, so not a lot of time lately. Flew in from Texas last night and needed to distress. Completed the majority of the external necessities on Mike’s 4.0. Transfer Case is buttoned back up with a fresh chain, bearings, seals, and a SYE. Will post some additional pics when I drill the holes necessary to properly index the T/C, and button the three together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had a couple hours last night after a long a$$ work week. Indexed the AX-15 for the Wrangler clocking. Sealed up the 231 with the new SYE, new (used) case half, chain, and seals, and bolted the two together.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,551 Posts
Had a couple hours last night after a long a$$ work week. Indexed the AX-15 for the Wrangler clocking. Sealed up the 231 with the new SYE, new (used) case half, chain, and seals, and bolted the two together.
I have the same clocking jig. I like that it's simple to use.
Did you make the drill guide or buy it?

TIA, Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I hate you!!!!! More and more I see your work and vision, I hate you even more!!!!

Lol

Wish my motor looked that good......

Reactions: SoCalC101CJYJTJ

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the same clocking jig. I like that it's simple to use.
Did you make the drill guide or buy it?

TIA, Good Luck, L.M.
Mac I just knocked a hole in the center of a piece of scrap 3/16 plate, and tacked a piece of tubing to it. The last time I did this I was freshening up the transmission, so while it was apart I did it on the drill press. Unfortunately, the table won’t drop on our little press to do it, and I didn’t want to load up the trans. and drag it to the shop when time constraints were pushed to the limit already.

I hate you!!!!! More and more I see your work and vision, I hate you even more!!!!

Lol

Wish my motor looked that good......
Yeah Mike wanted a little color. I will be knee deep in mine in a couple weeks. Yours can be next on the list! A weekend of cleaning and detailing and it will be dialed right in!

Reactions: dukcaln

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mac I just knocked a hole in the center of a piece of scrap 3/16 plate, and tacked a piece of tubing to it. The last time I did this I was freshening up the transmission, so while it was apart I did it on the drill press. Unfortunately, the table won’t drop on our little press to do it, and I didn’t want to load up the trans. and drag it to the shop when time constraints were pushed to the limit already.

Yeah Mike wanted a little color. I will be knee deep in mine in a couple weeks. Yours can be next on the list! A weekend of cleaning and detailing and it will be dialed right in!
Sure, when do you want to dropped off!

Reactions: SoCalC101CJYJTJ

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure, when do you want to dropped off!
I thought you would at least supervise while I wrenched!!! But bring it down, since you aren’t watching, that can of fluorescent pink marker paint I have in the cabinet will brighten that 4.0 block right up!!:beerdrinking:

Reactions: dukcaln
1 - 20 of 33 Posts