Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my 4.0 has this whistle that doesn't go away when warm, so I'm wondering if its something that could be robbing me of some power or efficiency. The video is of my tj, warm, no engine mods. No a/c if that makes any difference.

https://youtu.be/TVHjObvu9E8

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
I'd remove the belt, start the engine and see if the noise goes away. If it goes away, then check whatever the belt drives. It could be bearings in the alternator, power steering, idler or (outside chance) water pump.

If the noise doesn't go away with the engine running and the belt off, check the manifold bolts for tightness.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
461 Posts
That sounds like the alternator. Get a long screwdriver and put the handle end at your ear and the other on accessories as it runs and you should be able to home in on the noise. Of course use extreme caution not to slip and stick the end of the driver into the fan or? Better than a screw driver is a harbor freight mechanics stethoscope if you have a HF close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the alternator and the belt driven accessories tomorrow after work. I went over all the vacuum hoses and it all seems fine. I'm kinda wondering if it could be related to the intake manifold so that'll be next

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have Princes Auto here in Canada, which is the same idea. All the oddball tools you could ever need. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts