Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time lurker. I'm a new Jeep owner, bought my first TJ in March. It has been a blast. Had to replace some radiator hoses, did an oil change, and the oil pressure sending unit. While the Jeep was on the lift, I saw some of the worst frame rust and rotting I have ever seen on any vehicles I've owned. Seeing as most of the vehicles I have owned were 1989 and older, this was surprising to me. After a quick Google search, I quickly learned that I should have not been shocked. Living in South Carolina, I found it a little odd to find this much rust. I am the 3rd owner, so I suppose the Jeep could have come from the North East.

So that's where I opened my wallet and purchased a new frame. I will be picking it up in Greenville at the beginning of August since I am in South Korea at the moment. Knowing myself and the last of self control, I know I cannot stop at just a frame swap. There are a few other issues with the TJ that I will address while everything is apart and easy to get to. I will be posting other threads so I can start getting some answers and insight from the veterans and begin researching parts. Unfortunately, this all started a month after I just bought a house so it will be a slow process but will document every step of it.

I the Jeep for $8,000. Came with brand new 35" tires (5), a Jasper re-manufactured engine with approximately 80,000 miles, NV3550 transmission with a new clutch, has a SYE, Carolina Drive Shafts front and rear, D35 front and D44 rear, CAI, and a few other little goodies. I can tell it has had some love, but has had a life full of hard off-roading.

Here are my current issues:

-Front and rear diff are missing breather hoses, so I am a little scared to see what the inside of them look like

-New oil pressure sensing unit didn't fix the displayed 0psi oil pressure

-Stock radiator has a good portion of the fins bent and smashed

-Rear main seal appears to be leaking

-There is a leak coming from the transfer case area, but I will have to jack it up and get underneath to check and see

-Air conditioner and heat only works in defrost mode

-An array of what I think are vacuum lines just hanging out in the engine bay

-Numerous cut electrical lines in the engine bay

-Shocks are absolutely shot

-Parking break don't hold the Jeep in place on an incline

-Front turn signals are not working

-Rear diff is hitting gas tank skid plate (I'm thinking caused by bad shocks)

In addition to fixing all the above issues, here are some additional plans for it.

-Rebuild the engine (mainly for piece of mind)

-Rebuild transmission (same as above)

-New cooling system (radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc.)

-Electric fan conversion

-Either an OME or Metalcloak lift (unsure of size, LA or SA)

-Chromoly axles

-D44 front and 60 rear

-1 inch body spacer

-Hand throttle

-LED light conversions all around

-Pull carpet and rhino line the tub

-37" tires with beadlocks

I want to enjoy driving this on the pavement as much as on the dirt. It is a long list of items and will be a learning curve. I have rebuilt vehicles before, but never a Jeep. I will be turning to this forum for many questions. If anybody would like to chime in or share their own experience that would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post pics of my Jeep later on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
welcome back to jeepin. Now it sounds like a nice build up but im gona throw a monkey wrench into the mix, why dont you do a ls 5.3 swap while you at it and have a killer ride lol. good luck with evrything
PS how much did the new frame cost?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome back to jeepin. Now it sounds like a nice build up but im gona throw a monkey wrench into the mix, why dont you do a ls 5.3 swap while you at it and have a killer ride lol. good luck with evrything
PS how much did the new frame cost?
I am on the fence about it. I am looking at some motors, preferrably a 4 bolt main but that's wishful dreaming. The frame cost me $2,000 and he's throwing in some side steps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i mean if you are planning on rebuilding both engine and tranny might as well look into the chevy ls swap you know, just a thought

1 - 5 of 5 Posts