Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing my radiator I broke two of the little metal threaded pieces that the radiator mounting bolts tread into. Does anyone know where I can find replacements or know of a better alternative then removing the entire front grill and putting a nut behind the bolt?

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
The little metal pieces are sometimes called "J" nuts.
Google the term and a bajillion hits will pop up. Look for the best deal that works for you.

The J nuts may be available at your local auto parts store or at your local Big Box hardware/lumber yard.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: MarshMedic

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Removing my radiator I broke two of the little metal threaded pieces that the radiator mounting bolts tread into. Does anyone know where I can find replacements or know of a better alternative then removing the entire front grill and putting a nut behind the bolt?
If I am in a YJ that I have not previously worked on, I always replace all 6, along with fresh 1/4-20 hardware (Grade 8 is my preference although certainly not necessary in this application, along with SAE as opposed to USS washers for a clean look). I use Dorman PN 700-523 just because they are easy to source and I can buy them in boxes of 25. I believe you can still buy them in the ‘Help’ sections at most auto parts stores in blister packs of 2.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-12248-700-523.aspx

Reactions: MarshMedic

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
my local hardware store stocks j-nuts in the slide out drawers

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Indeed hardware stores like Ace carry them in metric and standard variations, what I would recommend before installing them is spraying them with some decent paint as the black oxide coating them is so poor that they will rust when exposed to the smallest amount of water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts