Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you guys thought would be better. I got a deal on a cherokee donor 4.0 manual tranny vehicle or just regear my 2.5 manual to 4.88 or 4.56? Both would be the same price installed. Hmmm, decisions. I have a tj 2.5 manual. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Id say regear. Lots of effort goes into a 4.0 swap, its not exactly bolt in.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Wondering what you guys thought would be better. I got a deal on a cherokee donor 4.0 manual tranny vehicle or just regear my 2.5 manual to 4.88 or 4.56? Both would be the same price installed. Hmmm, decisions. I have a tj 2.5 manual. Thanks.
What year? 97-02 the tranny would be basically plug and play.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Just to clarify, you are saying that you can get a 4.0L motor and its matching tranny installed for about $1200? That includes drivelines, exhaust, wiring, etc?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The donor cherokee is a 96. I have a 2000. And no, i would install the engine and tranny, but buy the cherokee for $500.i know i need motor mounts too to install engine and a couple other things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent looked into what drive lines i needor how much they cost.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
An axle shop can do the regear in a day or two for about $1200 (parts/labor). You will be spending way more than that on a conversion to a 4.0L (even with a $500 donor)...plus the conversion can take weeks/months depending on your mechanical skills. But some people still love taking on the challenge instead of worrying about the total cost.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Regear. If I had a 2.5L and wanted a bigger engine I'd just have a V8 installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts