Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I'm just looking to get an idea of what might be leaking? Is this a main seal perhaps? I'm been wiping areas down to check for leaks and not seeing anything yet. This drop always comes back after a drive on the bell-housing. I'm seeing anything on the oil pan it's self. I will be taking this apart at some point, but wanted to get an idea as to what I might be facing.

It's a 94 Sahara with Auto Trans. 144k miles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
An oil drip from the bellhousing could indicate a valve cover leak at the rear of the head or a RMS.

It's a simple matter to install a new valve cover gasket. Don't go cheap here. Get a FelPro rubber gasket.
If you still have the drip after installing a new valve cover gasket, then I would go about changing the RMS. At 144K miles, if you don't know if your timing chain has been replaced, I would consider doing that as part of the RMS job. It's easier to seal the oil pan and the timing cover together than to attempt to seal them independently.

You might begin by pressure washing the engine/trans/engine compartment at the quarter car wash. Then you can monitor your success installing the valve cover gasket and RMS.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I'll definitely be looking into FelPro gaskets. I bought this Jeep a few months ago and I'm pretty sure the 2nd owner before me used a bunch of liquid gasket to fix the seal. They also forgot to tighten down 2 of the valve cover bolts (Which I promptly tightened once I saw them). They didn't mention if the timing chain was done or not either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also to piggy back off of this, There's a external voltage regulator on my jeep. Now it only has 1 wire running to it from the alternator. It's connected to the top point of the triangle connector and then that runs to the alternator. I'm guessing it's fine as the Jeep runs fine (gauges say it's ok too). I just wanted to run it by you guys because I've seen external VRs setup differently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts