Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been reading a few articles on some simple upgrades for my 2.5l. I read the other day about swapping a 4.0l throttle body for my smaller 2.5l one for a bit better reaction time and pep off the line. Anyone done this upgrade or know if its worth my while? Or is it just a waste of time? Any input would be great. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
its my understanding that on tjs the throttle bodys are the same. I added a vortex spacer to mine, couple that with a more powerful coil, higher end spark plugs gapped wider than spec, and a high flow filter and i got a little extra pep. no one thing did anything noticeable, but all together it made a small difference. the 2.5 is more or less as good as its gonna get unless you bore it, stroke it, or super or turbo charge it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't know how much change you will notice, but those 4.0 tbs are cheap enough to try. Also, if you are going to do it, make sure to hog out the intake to match the throttle body. That will help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It really doesn't make a lot of difference on a bone stock 2.5. People perceive more power because the 4.0 tb is allowing more air flow at a given throttle plate position. So basically, a 2.5 is touchier with a 4.0 tb. It actually hurts on the low end.
Add air flow, exhaust, and fuel mods and the 4.0 tb helps, but only at high rpm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was figuring it wouldnt make much of a difference, being that unless I bore out the intake as well Im still going to force all that air into the same size hole. Being bone stock, having 361,000 kms on it, and still averaging 10L per 100kms, I dont think Im going to be able to improve any more haha. Thanks for the input from everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts