Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just just upgraded my 2016 JKU with D44 front and rear axles geared in 4.10. I currently just have 31.5 inch tires on my jeep. I just want to know if I am going to have any issues running this setup until I have enough money to lift it and put bigger tires on. My JKU is an automatic and my RPMs are up to a little under 2600 at 70mph. According to the handy gear chart, I am in the performance gear section which is fine with me. I am curious to know if this setup is sustainable until I get bigger tires.
Any info will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Why wouldn't ? Only thing you need to do is reprogram your gear size and tire size if you haven't done so, enjoy the Jeep until the next round of mods.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That is the factory offered gear ratio with factory sizes tires. Real issue is that you didn't gear properly for your new tires.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why wouldn't ? Only thing you need to do is reprogram your gear size and tire size if you haven't done so, enjoy the Jeep until the next round of mods.
As rsmwrangler said the op just needs to get a programmer and reprogram the computer with his transfer case ratio and differential ratio and tire size.

That is the factory offered gear ratio with factory sizes tires. Real issue is that you didn't gear properly for your new tires.
I am not sure I understand your answer. As you and others have stated that is a factory gear ratio and a factory size tire option. 4.10 gears will be great with 31s the computer just needs to be told that the tire size and gear ratio have changed and that will put the shift points back to factory specs.

This combo will not be quite as good of a ratio as a Rubicon with 4.10 gears because they also have a 4:1 transfer case. It will be even better than a Willys which from the factory has the same transfer case as his Jeep with 31s and 3.73 gears.

I have a 2012 Rubicon with 4.10 gears and 35" Nitto trail grapplers and it is great both on and off road (of course the 4:1 transfer case makes a big difference).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick responses guys! Yeah I already reprogrammed my jeep for the axle change and tire size. Do I still need to reprogram the transfer case even though it is the same Tcase as before? Its not a rubicon tcase, unfortunately.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I doubt it but it has been a while since I did mine and I was thinking that was one of the screens you went through as you reprogramed it. It will probably be fine. One thing I did find was that not only was the advertised tire size off a bit but so was my attempt to measure it. I programed mine and hooked up my GPS so I could verify the speed. It took me a few times to get it but now it is only off by about 1mph.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
As rsmwrangler said the op just needs to get a programmer and reprogram the computer with his transfer case ratio and differential ratio and tire size.

I am not sure I understand your answer. As you and others have stated that is a factory gear ratio and a factory size tire option. 4.10 gears will be great with 31s the computer just needs to be told that the tire size and gear ratio have changed and that will put the shift points back to factory specs.

This combo will not be quite as good of a ratio as a Rubicon with 4.10 gears because they also have a 4:1 transfer case. It will be even better than a Willys which from the factory has the same transfer case as his Jeep with 31s and 3.73 gears.

I have a 2012 Rubicon with 4.10 gears and 35" Nitto trail grapplers and it is great both on and off road (of course the 4:1 transfer case makes a big difference).
Did you read the original post? OP indicated that he regeared to 4.10 in preparation for a lift install and larger tires. Should have regeared to something deeper than the 4.10 gears to match the new larger tires.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Did you read the original post? OP indicated that he regeared to 4.10 in preparation for a lift install and larger tires. Should have regeared to something deeper than the 4.10 gears to match the new larger tires.
To me it sounded like he swapped entire axle assemblies, not just gears. He probably found a deal on some used Rubicon axles.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes I did read that and I addressed it in my answer. While 4.10s might not be ideal for his planned tire size (which we do not know) it will be a lot better than his stock ratio. Since he swapped in axels out of a Rubicon he probably does not want to change the gear ratio right now. I understand your original answer now it was just a little vague.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If the op regeared for larger tires in the future, I'm afraid that he will regret not going much lower.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I swapped complete axle assemblies. My plan is to do 35" tires eventually. I understand that 4.10 might not be ideal for that tire size (depending on who you talk to) but it was a good deal for the money and I gained locking diffs out of it as well. It was also better than the 3.21 gearing I had originally. So the next step will probably be a 4:1 t-case?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah I swapped complete axle assemblies. My plan is to do 35" tires eventually. I understand that 4.10 might not be ideal for that tire size (depending on who you talk to) but it was a good deal for the money and I gained locking diffs out of it as well. It was also better than the 3.21 gearing I had originally. So the next step will probably be a 4:1 t-case?
It will be fine with 35's now and even better if you get a Rubicon transfer case. My Rubicon with 4.10s, a 2.5" T F lift and 35" Trail Grapplers is awesome off road and drives great on road to. It will go many more places than I am willing to take it but I do take it on blue trails and some of the easier black obstacles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It will be fine with 35's now and even better if you get a Rubicon transfer case. My Rubicon with 4.10s, a 2.5" T F lift and 35" Trail Grapplers is awesome off road and drives great on road to. It will go many more places than I am willing to take it but I do take it on blue trails and some of the easier black obstacles.
That's awesome! I am planning to put a TF S/T3 Kit on my rig and was considering either doing 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers or their Ridge Grapplers, I can't decide yet. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's awesome! I am planning to put a TF S/T3 Kit on my rig and was considering either doing 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers or their Ridge Grapplers, I can't decide yet. Any thoughts?
It sounds like you have a good plan that TF S/T3 is a nice lift kit. I think 35s are the perfect size and Nitto's run closer to size than most.

I personally love the Nitto Trail Grapplers and I know many that swear by them. The Trail Grapplers is what I will be getting again when mine eventually wear out. They have been a great tire for me plus my spare is new so I will only need to buy four.

If I drove my Jeep more often like daily to work I would probably try the Ridge Grapplers because they should be a better all around tire rather than strictly a MT like the Trail Grapplers.

So far there is only one guy in our club with the Ridge Grapplers. I have been out with him a few times since he got them and I was very impressed he did not have any problems with anything we encountered. We are in southern Ohio so we were dealing with steep hills covered in both mud and rock as well as driving public roads between trails.

I don't think you could go wrong with either tire. Really the only negatives to Nittos are the weight (they are heavy) and the price. Any decent 35 is going to cost you so just empty every pocket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sounds like you have a good plan that TF S/T3 is a nice lift kit. I think 35s are the perfect size and Nitto's run closer to size than most.

I personally love the Nitto Trail Grapplers and I know many that swear by them. The Trail Grapplers is what I will be getting again when mine eventually wear out. They have been a great tire for me plus my spare is new so I will only need to buy four.

If I drove my Jeep more often like daily to work I would probably try the Ridge Grapplers because they should be a better all around tire rather than strictly a MT like the Trail Grapplers.

So far there is only one guy in our club with the Ridge Grapplers. I have been out with him a few times since he got them and I was very impressed he did not have any problems with anything we encountered. We are in southern Ohio so we were dealing with steep hills covered in both mud and rock as well as driving public roads between trails.

I don't think you could go wrong with either tire. Really the only negatives to Nittos are the weight (they are heavy) and the price. Any decent 35 is going to cost you so just empty every pocket.
Thanks for the great info! My jeep is my daily and I do quite a bit of highway driving here in Pittsburgh so knowing that I may go ahead and try out the ridge grapplers! I appreciate the help. :thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
A lot of great comments and feedback in this thread...

I have a stock 2016 Wrangler JK2D, 75th anniversary (Sahara); 3.6L Automatic, stock Dana 30F/44R 3.21 axle-gear ratio. stock suspension. stock tires/wheels 31.5" diameter (P24575R17).

I want to improve towing torque performance. I really do not have any plans on changing tire/wheel size any time soon. Just not sure which axle-gear ratio would be optimum; 3.73 / 4.10...? The only factory option for the JK2D 3.6L Automatic are 3.21 or 3.73. But the Rubicon JK2D 3.6L Automatic, with slightly larger 32" diameter tires/wheels has an option of 3.73 or 4.10 axle-gear ratio.

I read a lot of opinions, I do appreciate that. However, does a table or calculation exist to assist me with determining the best axle gear ratio for different applications and my circumstances?

I know that the computer will require programming changes to update with the new axle-gear ratio. Is there anything else from a drive-train equipment perspective that requires upgrading as well?

What would you pick for axle-gear ratio upgrade from the stock 3.21 based on a stock JK2D (Sahara)? My goal is to improve engine towing performance, mostly highway but potential some mild off-road.

The Jeep Owner's Manual indicates that if I increase to 3.73 axle-gear ratio, towing capacity allegedly increases 1,500 lbs. (2,000 to 3,500). Not sure about this???...I plan on continuing with the 2,000 lb. towing limit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey guys I just just upgraded my 2016 JKU with D44 front and rear axles geared in 4.10. I currently just have 31.5 inch tires on my jeep. I just want to know if I am going to have any issues running this setup until I have enough money to lift it and put bigger tires on. My JKU is an automatic and my RPMs are up to a little under 2600 at 70mph. According to the handy gear chart, I am in the performance gear section which is fine with me. I am curious to know if this setup is sustainable until I get bigger tires.
Any info will help. Thanks!
You may get tired of grinning until you bog it down with heavier rubber. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts