Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering getting the HEI distributor and a Howell fuel injection kit. would there be any issues I should be concerned with. Or should I stick with the carb and just upgrade that along with the HEI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your choice. FI has it's benefits (and pitfalls), but a well tuned Motorcraft 2150 is tough to beat and it's a lot cheaper.

Problem with Howell is it's a fuel only solution, no spark control. Essentially a computer controlled carb which adds complexity. That said, they can work very well.

Tough choice. I went 2150 and a D.U.I. HEI dist and it runs great. I definitely recommend HEI over Team Rush/Juice box. CRT has about the best price for HEI.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Howell and HEI were the best upgrades I made to my '88 4.2. Wish I had done those first.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I have run just about every set up you'll run across on 4.2 and 5.9 AMC motors.
I ran a Motorcraft 2100 on several 4.2 and 5.9 motors and it was easy to tune and ran well. I was not a fan of the Weber carbs on the 4.2 as they take a little more work to get them set up and to keep them tuned.

I run both HEI and Howell EFI on my YJ and although its on an AMC V-8 I think the info is worth sharing.
I had a low price HEI distributor that I purchased off of the internet and installed in a 5.9. I think I bought it off Ebay. The gear on the that distributor was hardened steel and the gear on my factory AMC V-8 cam shaft was not so the cam gear was chewed up by the budget distributor and had to be replaced. So make sure you either get a good distributor or buy the matching gear set for your cam and distributor. I run the DUI now and it came with the proper gear for the factory cam.

I installed the Howell EFI system hoping the would improve my MPG with the V-8. I averaged about 12.5 MPG with an Edlebrock carb and it was very easy to tune and maintain. The Howell system brought the motor to life and it has much more power than the carb set up but unfortunately it takes fuel to make HP and I now get about 10 MPG.

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference with the 4.2 but I thought I would mention it anyways.
I purchased the California emissions chip with my EFI system for the 360 V-8. They included a performance chip for my engine set up. I could never get the performance chip to run worth a crap.
The California chip ran much better and made at least as much power and got better MPG. The main reason may have been that I run a mild cam. I could never get it to idle worth a crap with the performance chip and it wanted to stall at times.
My Howell system has been on there for a little over a year and its been very reliable.
Both Howell and DUI have good customer service so if you have questions about the set up call them.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do but when I decide and finish the job I'll post it and let ya's know. Tis the season for working outside.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I will run the HEI, as for carb or TB if I lived in a place where I had to go up in Alt I'ed go EFI, but on flat land, I think it's up to you, the report that Fweaky had is Great info also.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I run a 2150 and HEI on my stroker. I live at 500ft above sea level. I live at the base of the Cascade mountain range in western WA. Last weekend I had the jeep up to 5000ft. I noticed a difference. But it still started, idled, and ran great. So far even with my very mixed altitude experience I have not wished for EFI.

·
Supporting Member
2,839 Posts
I run a 2150 and HEI on my stroker. I live at 500ft above sea level. I live at the base of the Cascade mountain range in western WA. Last weekend I had the jeep up to 5000ft. I noticed a difference. But it still started, idled, and ran great. So far even with my very mixed altitude experience I have not wished for EFI.
Same here I run a weber38 and hei at 5,000ft elevation and some trails go upto 9500' elevation. Never had any issues with my carb it running of My. But at the higher elevation it'll have less power. My fuel injected XJ. Is the same way less power at higher elevation. Still runs fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts