Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched all through here, but no answer.

My YJ is a rebuilt title supposedly with a rebuilt motor swapped in during or after the rebuild/retitle process so the VIN has no relevance to much of what is actually in the Jeep. Although everything appears late 89: AX15 transmission; exhaust manifold has the date 8 11 89 on it. (And no cracks! Yet.)

Playing around with some online parts lookups, either Autozone or Advance Auto (can't recall) had a notation that 20% of 89 YJs had a M code engine and the other 80% the T code.

Does anyone know for sure what the differences are? I've read all the speculations about which models had V-belts and which had serpentine - sounds like late 80s Wranglers were "parts bin" built as parts stocks were used up during changeover periods.

So, anyone have good info?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,968 Posts
I don't know them all but the V belt vs. serpentine is definately one and the fuel pump, whether it's a front or rear outlet is another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I just recently discovered there were the two different fuel pumps. That might be an identifier.

I've seen other threads where the v-belt versus serpentine appeared to be kind of at random during some change overs made to the 6.2L models around 87-89. But I've also read there were T and M code motors scattered throughout that time frame.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top