Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kicking around picking up a set of Duratracs (33x12.5 15) on some 8" rims but want to know if I can get away with the 4.5 backspacing on the YJ or if I should just stick with 3.75 to make sure I don't rub the springs.

Anyone have any experience with 4.5 offset and 33x12.5's? I'd like to keep as much of the tire under the fender as possible.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I once bought a set of 33x12.5s on 15x8 jeep rims from a guy who had them on his YJ. When I got home I measered the backspace of the rims and it was 5". The tires werent chewed up or anything and were in good shape so I would think it would be ok.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The tires Im speaking of were bridgestone dueller at's with about half tread, not a real meaty tire to begin with if U stuck with a highway tire over someting knobby it might make a difference too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for the replies. From what I have been seeing on the forums it looks like most people recommend 3.75 for a YJ because of the leaf springs. It looks like a TJ can get away with 4.5 easier.

A 33x10.5 tire should fit on a YJ with 4.5 backspacing with no rubbing though right? That is another option I was exploring.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ok thanks for the replies. From what I have been seeing on the forums it looks like most people recommend 3.75 for a YJ because of the leaf springs. It looks like a TJ can get away with 4.5 easier.

A 33x10.5 tire should fit on a YJ with 4.5 backspacing with no rubbing though right? That is another option I was exploring.
I had 31x10.50's on factory wheels on a stock 87 yj..you could not turn it all the way without it hitting..I don't know what the backspacing was on them

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had 31x10.50's on factory wheels on a stock 87 yj..you could not turn it all the way without it hitting..I don't know what the backspacing was on them

Most stock rims are 5.5 so with 4.5 I might be ok. I might just go with the 3.75 to be sure though. I was hoping someone that was running 4.5 backspacing with the 33x10.5 would confirm.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Anyone know if 31x10.5s will rub the leaf springs with 4 inch backspacing? This would be on a 15x8 rim.

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
I run a 33x12.50x15 with 4"bs at full turn it will just rub on the leaf spring. tires are KM2's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool thanks man, can you post up pics of what your stance looks like? Is there alot of tire outside the fender?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts