Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my jeep is currently in the shop getting new gears. I have 4.0l 5 spd with 31 inch tires. I'm going to lift it soon to put 33 inch tires on it. My question is will it mess up my timing belt or anything if I drive it or a month on my 31's? I know has mileage will suck but its just for a month so it's all good. I just don't want to mess anything up

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Timing belt and gear ratio have no relationship. It will be fine until you go to 33's and like you said, the rpm's will be a little higher.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice I knew those jerks at the parts store where just trying to make me buy a lift kit today! Lol thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Nice I knew those jerks at the parts store where just trying to make me buy a lift kit today! Lol thanks a lot
Just wondering, by what did they tell you?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to 4 wheel drive parts to get my gears put in. And asked them if its fine to run 31's for a while until I lift it and put 33's on it ( the reason I got the gears is for 33's) and he said " if u run these gears ur timing belt will get worn out because of the gears and will have to get it realigned " I can't think of the word but like get it retimed u know what I mean? So it got me worried and made me wonder if he was right or if he just wanted me to lift it and buy tires from them today.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
The above statement is full of sooo much fail that I hope you just missunderstood him if not then I would not allow them to touch anything of mine, period.

Like I said before the timing belt and gears do not work together. The timing belt is the belt on the engine that spins when the motor spins. You can see that belt, it moves the fan. You also can't realign that belt. There is a tension puller that keeps it tight and the gears still have no affect on the belt. Your jeep is full injectioned and not carb'd so there isn't a way for it to come out of timing. A timing light is used to help with the timing and still if it was a carb'd jeep the gears have nothing to do with it.

Maybe what he was speaking about realigning, lets hope,the front end. Even with new gears there is no way an aligment is needed. Alignment is only needed when there is a suspension lift and/or bigger tires being put on.

If you haven't noticed, he is no where right and a complete idiot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I was thinking the same thing, that's why I asked. I just have never changed my gears and didn't know if I was missing something. Just glad he isn't changing my gears, he was just the guy at the counter and not the certified mechanic. Thanks for the help and info.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Yea I was thinking the same thing, that's why I asked. I just have never changed my gears and didn't know if I was missing something. Just glad he isn't changing my gears, he was just the guy at the counter and not the certified mechanic. Thanks for the help and info.
Lets hope he didn't higher the mech and just cause the mech has some kind of cert doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol this is true, but its one of the only places in town who can install gears. Without going to some random place and getting ripped off. I would do it myself but my mechanical skills are not that advanced. And they come with a warranty so we will see what happens lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
The above statement is full of sooo much fail that I hope you just missunderstood him if not then I would not allow them to touch anything of mine, period.

Like I said before the timing belt and gears do not work together. The timing belt is the belt on the engine that spins when the motor spins. You can see that belt, it moves the fan. You also can't realign that belt. There is a tension puller that keeps it tight and the gears still have no affect on the belt. Your jeep is full injectioned and not carb'd so there isn't a way for it to come out of timing. A timing light is used to help with the timing and still if it was a carb'd jeep the gears have nothing to do with it.

Maybe what he was speaking about realigning, lets hope,the front end. Even with new gears there is no way an aligment is needed. Alignment is only needed when there is a suspension lift and/or bigger tires being put on.

If you haven't noticed, he is no where right and a complete idiot.
There is NO timing belt in or on a Jeep 4.0L. Timing Chain...YES, Accessory drive belt....Yes

·
Registered
188 Posts
I havent seen a problem yet and i got 33s and my gas didnt change and my RPMs barely moved

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Lol, Mortalis is gonna have the poor guy even more confused with that info. You can see the "timing belt" and it spins the fan?
My bad. I was at work and it was late. The accessory belt can be seen moving is what I should have said. Sorry.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up.... I called the shop to double check what he actually said. He started to talk about the engine and I said I was confused what he was actually trying to tell me. He then back peddled and went to gas usage. I said I know I will loss some then he said if I drive it like a sports car then I might blow the engine. Wtf who drives a jeep like a race car. So it's all good I think he was just trying to sell more crap to me, and when I called him out he back peddled lol

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Follow up.... I called the shop to double check what he actually said. He started to talk about the engine and I said I was confused what he was actually trying to tell me. He then back peddled and went to gas usage. I said I know I will loss some then he said if I drive it like a sports car then I might blow the engine. Wtf who drives a jeep like a race car. So it's all good I think he was just trying to sell more crap to me, and when I called him out he back peddled lol
Sounds like you need to find a different, better and more trust worthy shop... I'd never let them touch my rig.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts