Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a few searches and trying to read some graphs I found I think 4.56 will work well on my 2010 JK with 33" Duratracs. Currently I have 3.73 and it's an auto, it struggles when we've gone to Colorado up in the mountains.

In high with the OD off I'm turning 2600 rpm at 65mph, with the OD on it drops to about 1850 rpm. A bit doggy on hills. If I am thinking correct the 4.56 will put me at 3020 ish at 65 (OD off) and about 2150 (OD on). If so I think this will work well on the highway and give me some more low end for trails.

Just running this by a few of you for additional input. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 2007 manual tranny 4.56 and 33s works great for me. You have auto tranny I think you might want to look at 4.88s I think they will work better for you. Someone can explain it better than I can but a manual versus auto with the same gear ratio the auto for lack of a better word seems like it is geared higher even though its not. Hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I remember right I think its because the auto for the 2007-2011 has a high end gear for better gas mileage thats why others go to lower gears vs the manual.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a 2010 auto with 4.56 gears. No way is that low enough for 285's. For 285's I would recommend 4.88 and for mountain driving 5.13.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Placed the order for 4.88s today.

Thanks for the input. The guy at the shop also said he felt the 4.88s would be a better choice for my Jeep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts