Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

4.6 motor swap??

12595 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  doug schlosser
hey everybody i have an 02 wrangler 4.0 and i recently got the opportunity to do a 4.6 liter v-8 swap out of a wrecked f-150 4x4. my question is is will this work and do they make swap kits for the 4.6? the motor is in good working order and still starts and runs fine but blows a little smoke due to being rolled over. i plan on getting the motor rebuilt seeing as im getting it for free. any advice?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Your going to want to use as much of the f150 stuff as u can. Wiring, ecu. You may even want to use the trans and transfer case. For parts I would take a look at Novak adapters.( not sure on spelling. Google it) if they don't have on their site what u need, the give them a call. Should point you in the right direction. I personally know nothing about this particular swap but getting a motor for free sounds like a good jump start. Worse come to worse u could sell the 4.6 to get one of the "easier" swap motors. GL and make sure to do your research before you cut your jeep up!

· Registered
321 Posts
There are far, FAR better V8's than the gutless, spark plug spitting, PITA to work on Triton. That's my opinion anyhow.

Read this again several times and understand that this is very true...

· Premium Member
9,612 Posts
Better measure that beast. It is really wide across the top. My guess is a lot is going to be moved. And the trans/tcase package is something to think about. You have a pretty short rear shaft to work with.

· Premium Member
696 Posts

· Registered
8,954 Posts
Better measure that beast. It is really wide across the top. My guess is a lot is going to be moved. And the trans/tcase package is something to think about. You have a pretty short rear shaft to work with.
x2...good luck fitting that wide load between the spring towers.

this is a 4.6L DOHC vs a 302 V8, but you still get the idea of the modular Ford motors.

and here's a 5.0L/302 swap in a TJ...and it's tight enough.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-0-engine-swap-pictures-596831/

Fitting a block twice the width between the spring towers would not be fun.

· Registered
Custom 1994 Jeep YJ Wrangler
4 Posts
I just completed this swap. I used the 4.6l V8 / M5OD Trans / Borg Warner transfer case out of the 2001 Ford F150. The package fits amazingly well. Sorry to crush the opinions of those who say it can't be done. Maybe it just can't be done by you because it isn't a bolt on like the LS.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Snow Automotive tire

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Sky Vehicle

· Registered
19,518 Posts
A free engine will not make it a good idea/deal

now if you coil fit a 4.9/300 dodge six that would be neat

any engine swap has to be an educational project or a labor of love as it will take longer and be more expensive than you expect

doesent the ford transfer case and front axle have the front driveshaft on the wrong side

· Registered
‘98 TJ
510 Posts
The plug issues were more related to the 3v engines (and it seems the 5.4 was more prone to it). The 2v’s were pretty solid, reliable engines.

They were gutless as hell though, but man they may be one of the best sounding engines ever made.

And while it is always a possibility, I’ve never had an issue with it. And I’ve had five f150’s and four mustangs. Granted, of those only three were the 4.6 and only one was a 5.4. Only “plug” issue I’ve ever had was just trying to ACCESS the rear plugs cuz the engine is set so far back.

· Registered
04 lj with GRTOPS half cab conversion 05 rocky mountain 06 rubicon with banks sidewinder turbo
1,691 Posts
The plug issues were more related to the 3v engines (and it seems the 5.4 was more prone to it). The 2v’s were pretty solid, reliable engines.

They were gutless as hell though, but man they may be one of the best sounding engines ever made.

And while it is always a possibility, I’ve never had an issue with it. And I’ve had five f150’s and four mustangs. Granted, of those only three were the 4.6 and only one was a 5.4. Only “plug” issue I’ve ever had was just trying to ACCESS the rear plugs cuz the engine is set so far back.
4.6 will run forever

1 - 18 of 18 Posts