Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody i have an 02 wrangler 4.0 and i recently got the opportunity to do a 4.6 liter v-8 swap out of a wrecked f-150 4x4. my question is is will this work and do they make swap kits for the 4.6? the motor is in good working order and still starts and runs fine but blows a little smoke due to being rolled over. i plan on getting the motor rebuilt seeing as im getting it for free. any advice?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
There are far, FAR better V8's than the gutless, spark plug spitting, PITA to work on Triton. That's my opinion anyhow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol yes i do realize that i was just curious because the motor is free. my mother wrecked the truck swerving to miss a damn raccoon and it cost too much for them to repair

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you want a v8 get a dodge 318 or 360. Easier to work on and some of the wiring components work with the tj's

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your going to want to use as much of the f150 stuff as u can. Wiring, ecu. You may even want to use the trans and transfer case. For parts I would take a look at Novak adapters.( not sure on spelling. Google it) if they don't have on their site what u need, the give them a call. Should point you in the right direction. I personally know nothing about this particular swap but getting a motor for free sounds like a good jump start. Worse come to worse u could sell the 4.6 to get one of the "easier" swap motors. GL and make sure to do your research before you cut your jeep up!

·
Registered
321 Posts
There are far, FAR better V8's than the gutless, spark plug spitting, PITA to work on Triton. That's my opinion anyhow.

Read this again several times and understand that this is very true...

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
Better measure that beast. It is really wide across the top. My guess is a lot is going to be moved. And the trans/tcase package is something to think about. You have a pretty short rear shaft to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Better measure that beast. It is really wide across the top. My guess is a lot is going to be moved. And the trans/tcase package is something to think about. You have a pretty short rear shaft to work with.
x2...good luck fitting that wide load between the spring towers.

this is a 4.6L DOHC vs a 302 V8, but you still get the idea of the modular Ford motors.

and here's a 5.0L/302 swap in a TJ...and it's tight enough.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-0-engine-swap-pictures-596831/

Fitting a block twice the width between the spring towers would not be fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for the input guys i think i am going to just part out the f-150 get as much as i can and just get the stroker kit ive been wanting. less hassle and good power without having to go crazy changing everything

1 - 11 of 11 Posts