Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The stroker gives all its power in the low end. While the 4.0 give it more mid. Strokers are not high reving motor compared to the 4.0. If you looking for a motor for running trails/rocks where your crawling its a great motor but if you looking for deep mud/sand where you need to rev it to clean the tires this wouldn't be a good choice.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yea if you looking for high hose power then yes. I love my 4.7 wouldn't want any other motor but my engine never sees above 2800 rpm

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
I can start cleaning the garage up here lol

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
banks316 said:
Yea if you looking for high hose power then yes. I love my 4.7 wouldn't want any other motor but my engine never sees above 2800 rpm
Well my problem us she sees highway driving. She sees a lot of snow wheeling. A lot of sand. Mud. But also we do a lot of crawling and stuff too. We see almost every type of wheeling there is and with only 33s and 4.10s she revs quite high

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Well my problem us she sees highway driving. She sees a lot of snow wheeling. A lot of sand. Mud. But also we do a lot of crawling and stuff too. We see almost every type of wheeling there is and with only 33s and 4.10s she revs quite high
Gotcha my jeep runs 2400rpm ish at 80MPH so I dont rev it high and all my wheeling is done in trails and rocks so the stroker is a good choice for me.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Regear and you can drop that. Im running 4.56s with 37's

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Aren't the stroker kits incredibly expensive compared to dropping in a larger more common motor like a 5L ford or a 5.7 chevy? While you don't have to go putting in adapters and new mounts and all of that, I've been quoted upwards of $6000-7000 to stoke a 4.0L. That seems incredibly high for what you're getting.

Denis

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Full lower kit inclueds crank, rods, rings, pistons cam, gasket kit is about 1600

·
Registered
249 Posts
The stroker gives all its power in the low end. While the 4.0 give it more mid. Strokers are not high reving motor compared to the 4.0. If you looking for a motor for running trails/rocks where your crawling its a great motor but if you looking for deep mud/sand where you need to rev it to clean the tires this wouldn't be a good choice.
???? your joking right? the 4.0 isnt a "high revving" motor to begin with... a stroker does not limit you in anyway... a 4.6 will rev out to 5100-5200 rpms all day long.... the 4.7 stroker has been running the baja since the 4.0 was born, and those engines live near the rev limiter...

the beauty of a stroker is you dont have to rev it out, but it doesnt mean you cant.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Aren't the stroker kits incredibly expensive compared to dropping in a larger more common motor like a 5L ford or a 5.7 chevy? While you don't have to go putting in adapters and new mounts and all of that, I've been quoted upwards of $6000-7000 to stoke a 4.0L. That seems incredibly high for what you're getting.

Denis
are you building a race engine or a DD, at the shop I have built 2 long block 4.6's for 2500 bucks OTD.

the problem is when you get into forged h-beams or i-beams and forged cranks and all this other jazz. If your not going to be banging it off a 6k rev limiter there is no need to go forged everything. a 258 crank and rods, and some forged speed pro's or KB and that engine will live just as long as a 4.0. Its all in the balance.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a dd weekend wheeler. But Im not building one. I've got a buddy with a rotted tj that is parting his out. Its got 5k on the engine since it was built. He's gonna sell it to me for 700 bucks

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
banks316 said:
Gotcha my jeep runs 2400rpm ish at 80MPH so I dont rev it high and all my wheeling is done in trails and rocks so the stroker is a good choice for me.
How the heck have you gotten your jeep up to 80? Lol. I got mine up to just under 75 on the floor lol. Also down a hill to...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cakes567 said:
How the heck have you gotten your jeep up to 80? Lol. I got mine up to just under 75 on the floor lol. Also down a hill to...
He's got the stroker. And its all about gearing. I can put mine to about 85 but that's practically redlining it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts