Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a 4.7l v8 out of a Grand Cherokee into my TJ and I want it to be an automatic. Does anyone know all the things I need to do this?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is NOT the same.. The 5.2 is the old Magnum series and is based on the really old 318 motors which started back in the early 70s.

The 4.7 is known as the "baby hemi". The only things it has in common with the 5.2 is that it has 8 cylinders and runs on gas.. That's pretty much it. If you're gonna go all that work, why not do the 5.7 hemi.. It's the same amount of work to get it in and functional. The only difference may be the cost especially if you are getting the little motor free of really cheap..

The 5.9/5.2 conversion is actually the simplest swap to do. Lots of common parts between the two and it will be cheaper to finish than any other V8. Time to google and start your research

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I had the 5.7 Hemi in my 2004 Ram 2500 and it would make that vehicle jump. One in a TJ would be scary.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had the 5.7 Hemi in my 2004 Ram 2500 and it would make that vehicle jump. One in a TJ would be scary.
Nah... It's a lot of fun..👍

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
When swapping ZJ or WJ V8 to TJ make sure both use same bus

For TJ 97-2000 is CCD bus two wire twisted pair

2001-2006 TJ are PCI bus single wire

ZJ (so thru 1998) grand Cherokee are CCD bus
Easy to spot as door handles have a push button

WJ which came out in 1999 are all PCI bus
Easy to spot as door handles pull up

XJ 97-2001 are all CCD bus and no XJ after 2001
All the 97-01 XJ have no front door vent window (the little triangular window on early XJ)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts