Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2009 Wrangler X 2 door with 40" Super Swamper tires. I have a Dana 44 4.88 rear and am looking to get the front axle up to 4.88 from stock (front drive shaft is currently not installed). I've been getting mixed opinions from the different Jeep shops. One shop wants me to upgrade both axles to 5.13, another shop says 4.88 is fine, yet another shop says I should get a beefier front axle. I do a bit of 4 wheeling, mostly muddy back woods trails, no rocks.
I'm very happy with the 4.88 rear, it gets up and goes nicely on the highway and is a great improvement over my 2.5 TJ. What is the consensus of the group? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
4.88 for 40" wheels

Those tires are a bit big and heavy for both D44 but that’s my opinion. I ran 5.38 for 37” Pitbulls in my 08 and that was a great combo. Is your front a D30? If so start looking for a front D44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Those tires are a bit big and heavy for both D44 but that’s my opinion. I ran 5.38 for 37” Pitbulls in my 08 and that was a great combo. Is your front a D30? If so start looking for a front D44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, he only said the rear was a 44. :-/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
40" tires is WAAAAYYYY too much tire for stock JK axles. Especially if you do any off roading at all. If you just do mild trails and such, I'd look at a more sensible tire size like 33s or 35s. Then your 4.88's will be perfect and you'll save a lot of wear and tear on the rest of the suspension and steering components.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
40's dont belong on a dana 30 and even on 37's, the gears wont hold up. i would say smaller tires or beefier axles. higher numerical gearing is only going to make the gear set weaker. with 4.88's in a dana 30, the pinion is almost the same size as the bearing it rides on!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I bought a 2009 Wrangler X 2 door with 40" Super Swamper tires. I have a Dana 44 4.88 rear and am looking to get the front axle up to 4.88 from stock (front drive shaft is currently not installed). I've been getting mixed opinions from the different Jeep shops. One shop wants me to upgrade both axles to 5.13, another shop says 4.88 is fine, yet another shop says I should get a beefier front axle. I do a bit of 4 wheeling, mostly muddy back woods trails, no rocks.
I'm very happy with the 4.88 rear, it gets up and goes nicely on the highway and is a great improvement over my 2.5 TJ. What is the consensus of the group? Thanks.

For 40" wheels you really do need 5.13 gears. The problem with 5.13's on a dana 30 axle is that the pinion gear becomes too small and too easy to break. Your jeep will be in the shop every 15 minutes getting the pinion replaced. You need to change out the axle for a beefier pinion. Not withstanding, 40's are really too big for a dana 30 axle if you plan on putting the jeep through its paces. You're most likely going to bust something anyway if you push too hard.

4.88 will work if you don't want to change out the axle, but it won't be the greatest... however if you're running stock gears right now with 40's on then ANYTHING will be an improvement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone! Looks like the consensus is against my least expensive option of just re-gearing the front to 4.88. I guess I'll have to start putting some $$ in the piggy-bank as the rest of the options ain't cheap. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone! Looks like the consensus is against my least expensive option of just re-gearing the front to 4.88. I guess I'll have to start putting some $$ in the piggy-bank as the rest of the options ain't cheap. Thanks again.
Actually, the least expensive option is still to regear the front to 4.88's and get some reasonably sized tires, like 35's or 33's. Only the most hard-core of trails need 40's.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tires over 35 are expensive as there are lot of mods you need to run them. I don't think your Dana 30 front will hold up long at all with 40's. Most people that are going to run 40's don't even consider a Dana 44 sufficient and run Dana 60's.

What lift are you running? Are 40's a requirement? If not, I suggest stepping down to 35's. If you want to run 40's I'd go with Dana 60's with 5.13 gearing or even lower with your 3.8 V6.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
35s are the perfect size tire for a 2dr, imo. Anything larger just doesn't look right to me.

I also have a D30 in the front, and in already considering c gussets at minimum for my 35s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have 37's on a 2 dr with 3.25" of lift. Personally, I think it looks fine.

I'm also running a Core 44 front axle. I wouldn't be going larger than 35's on a Dana 30.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again everyone for the advice. I'm going to hold off until I can afford a new front axle. It's obvious that a Dana 30, even built up, is not up to the task.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts