Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Ford 8.8 rollin and the D30 regeared. Changed speedo gear and cross checked with GPD.

Performance:

60 MPH 5th Gear = 2500 rpm....UGH I hate to push it that hard to get 65 so it looks like 60 is going to be top speed until I throw on some 35's.

GOBS of power....great acceleration. Can burn rubber with both back tires.

In 4LO crawling around in the sand... OH YEAH! In fact, I can now take off in 4HI when in the sand. Previously with the 3.07 gears and 31's.... 4LO was required to start off in the sand (lest I smoke the clutch).

Yeah 4.56 woulda been better....but 4.88 is what I got so I am gettin after it!

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
Got the Ford 8.8 rollin and the D30 regeared. Changed speedo gear and cross checked with GPD.

Performance:

60 MPH 5th Gear = 2500 rpm....UGH I hate to push it that hard to get 65 so it looks like 60 is going to be top speed until I throw on some 35's.

GOBS of power....great acceleration. Can burn rubber with both back tires.

In 4LO crawling around in the sand... OH YEAH! In fact, I can now take off in 4HI when in the sand. Previously with the 3.07 gears and 31's.... 4LO was required to start off in the sand (lest I smoke the clutch).

Yeah 4.56 woulda been better....but 4.88 is what I got so I am gettin after it!
Great report. Makes me want to hurry up and get my 4.56s in. :punk:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah...the upshift indicator tells me I need to shift to 6th gear at 50 MPH... trouble is...aint got no 6th gear.... anybody know which fuse to pull to extinguish this light altogether?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
oh yeah...the upshift indicator tells me I need to shift to 6th gear at 50 MPH... trouble is...aint got no 6th gear.... anybody know which fuse to pull to extinguish this light altogether?
x2 x2

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts

Performance:

First, 2500 rpms is nothing for the 4.0L or 2.5L engines. I have run 4.88 with 35" tires for 7-8 years now and when I had my 5-speed, ran 2700-2750 rpms all day every day at 70 mph. The Jeep has a lot of rolling resistance and the aerodynamics of a barn door and it needs those higher rpms.

You have simply gotten used to the lower rpms of an aerodynamic car running tiny tires with low rolling resistance. Get used to the higher rpms a Jeep needs just to maintain speed with its poor aerodynamics and higher rolling resistance. :)

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
X2 I have 4:56 w/33's and it performs best around 2500 with no need to shift for most interstate inclines. Perfect power range for the 4.0.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alright guys i am a jeep newbie and I have a 97 TJ with a 4 banger everything is stock going to start doing some personalization and was curious whats the gear ratio in the rearend of this beast...LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Alright guys i am a jeep newbie and I have a 97 TJ with a 4 banger everything is stock going to start doing some personalization and was curious whats the gear ratio in the rearend of this beast...LOL.
I'm sure you have the D35 in the rear. The lowest you can go if memory serves right is 4.56. 33 is about the largest you need due to the fact that the 35c's aren't the strongest axles in the world either. Then again it all depends on what type of wheeling you plan on doing and tire size as to what you need.

welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran around on the sandbar again today... It is cool being able to run 4HI & 2nd gear without smoking the clutch....

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I'm sure you have the D35 in the rear. The lowest you can go if memory serves right is 4.56. 33 is about the largest you need due to the fact that the 35c's aren't the strongest axles in the world either.
The rear Dana 35c can be regeared to 4.88 without problem and the 2.5L does best with that ratio with 33" tires when the transmission is the 5-speed. It's a very popular combination that works very well with the four banger. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
The rear Dana 35c can be regeared to 4.88 without problem and the 2.5L does best with that ratio with 33" tires when the transmission is the 5-speed. It's a very popular combination that works very well with the four banger. :)
Now what about the 2.5l with 35s and 4:8?. I feel it won't even go.? Haha as of Now im 2.5l with 33s and factory 4:10.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts