Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone with experience running larger tires with stock gears with a 4 cylinder auto. Just trying to get a year outa it before putting an 8.8 under it and regearing. It's lifted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just had a post talking about axles and such, and within that tires were talked a lot about, and most people agreed that to put bigger tires on a 4 banger without regearing, you'll be driving a dog. While some people get away without regearing, they sacrifice that top speed. Plus you are then putting everything else under more stress like your axles and drive terrain. So if you are willing to sacrifice getting there fast, then go ahead and slap on some 31" M/T's, but if you're still trying to get down the highway, then it might not be a good idea without regearing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, I hear ya. I had another 4 banger years ago with stock tires and it was a dog, 5 speed. I'm not regearing this Dana 35 though. Gotta wait until next year's tax return for an 8.8. But! I got a whole year of wheeling ahead of me. So can I roll some 32's down the road. Or maybe 33's. Or it that not even possible. Anyone with auto 4/banger experience?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a 94 4cyl auto, and ran 33-12.50 X 15. It hit highway speeds and drove fine. It will take a little getting use to the lack of get up and go with 33's. I did not have any other issues other then it's a brick that is under powered from factory.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 94 4cyl auto, and ran 33-12.50 X 15. It hit highway speeds and drove fine. It will take a little getting use to the lack of get up and go with 33's. I did not have any other issues other then it's a brick that is under powered from factory.
Gotcha, thanks for the input. I was hoping this was the case and it wasn't completely worthless.

I think 4 banger jeeps are neat. The wheelin i do i dont need big horsepower.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had a few 4.0s and a 258. Just for some slow trail rides and Rock crawling. The 4 banger auto, is perfect for me. Plus a I got a smoking deal on the Jeep. Just sold my 5.2l ZJ project for this 4 banger. Gonna put an 8.8 in it and gear it to death next year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts