Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 cylinder for my wifes Jeep that I am trying to rebuild, The best I can come up with it is a 96 2.5, but the main bearings do not fit. The block looks identical to the 2001 2.5 except for fuel pump opening.
The attached a photo of the numbers on the block, any help determining the year and type would be appreciated, I have googled it and didn't have much luck.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Look on this forum for a post by MudMagnetYJ and look in his signature. There you will find a link to several Factory Service Manuals. Click on the 1995 manual. As far as I know, there was never a 1996 YJ. Perhaps the block you are attempting to rebuild is from a XJ.

Your pic clearly shows a boss with the engine codes stamped on it. It may require some research on your part to determine exactly which vehicle the block came from.

Some Jeep related websites have portions of certain FSMs posted with free access I think Morris 4X4 has some and I am sure other posters can add to the list.

Perhaps the engine you are dealing with has been rebuilt in the past and the crankshaft requires oversize bearings.

Have you contacted a Jeep dealer? ....Yeah, I know, pretty much a last resort but if you are lucky you might find a parts counterperson willing to help.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Wow I Don't Know, but it could be a number of blocks, a Iron Duke 151 GM or a 2.5 Dodge. Now when did the CJ's use the 151's, 1984-86? May be that old, having the fuel pump mount.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yeah, that's an earlier engine with that fuel pump mount. I'm almost positive its the 86 only block. Carbureted CJ/XJ
I would recommend against using it.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I am 99% sure my 1989 Comanche 2.5 TBI had a provision for a mechanical fuel pump but there was a block off plate on it.

Reactions: DREDnot

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
This comment made me dig up mj 88 MJ pics. Sure enough, its got the blocked of boss.

Still, The serial looks to be for an 86 which is all by itself in the part catalog. If the bearing don't fit, that's not promising

What clues led you to 1996?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am hoping that I can get bearings for a 86 and they will work, Thanks to everyone who replied.
What led me to think it was a 96 block? My terrible skills at ID'ing Jeep 4 clyinder engines. ;)

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Do you homework well, if that is an old 1986 are so block it may be a GM Block and not one made by AMC, you may run into the head not fitting right either. Check it all over but I think you have the wrong block for your app, that said, if it is a GM 86 block it may be worth a lot to someone that can't find one because they are so few of them left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts