Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the difference in the two is where the motor mount attaches.Is there somewhere I can buy that "perch" or what its called so I dont have to cut it off & re weld it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I always thought you would have to cut and re-weld new mounts in. Maybe someone else can chime in here. What exactly are you doing? A 4.0 swap?

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always thought you would have to cut and re-weld new mounts in. Maybe someone else can chime in here. What exactly are you doing? A 4.0 swap?
I found a clean frame that was for a 4cyl TJ.I have a 6cyl TJ I need the frame for.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut the mounts off your old frame if you still have it. Thats what I did for my frame swap.
Good idea.Im thinking of welding them a little higher to avoid buying a MML.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The way the mounts are designed they fit the contours of the frame rail. I personally wouldnt do it that way, Afterall those two mounts are holding alot of torqe. But haveing everything apart it shouldnt be hard to make blocks for the MML.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Good idea.Im thinking of welding them a little higher to avoid buying a MML.
You're trying to avoid drilling a couple of holes in 2 blocks of aluminum 4" long and 2" wide and instead want to completely reshape the contours of two mounts that you will need to mock up to the engine to make sure you get them in the right spot?

:thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's a question I've thought about. The reason most people, including myself, need to replace the frame is because of rust from the lowest part of the frame (center) to the back, (rear suspension mounts). How hard would it be to cut both frames just behind the front trailing arm mount area, then remove the frame from there back and do the reverse installing the 4 cyl frame. You'd simply have to weld the old front section to the new rear section. Reinforce it real good and you've replaced all the bad parts. In my mind it seems alot easier. You don't have to touch the radiator, engine, front suspension at all. Just drop the center skid plate, pull the rear axle, remove the fuel tank and of course all the body mounts. Will have to replace the brake and fuel lines. Am I missing something? It seems easier to do a frame swap this way than a complete swap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 4cyl jeep that has a 6 transplant. That was not difficult but frame swap swap - LABOR intensive WOW - Did that on a Samurai. We sectioned out a long bed frame into a short bed frame on a 70 or 71 pickup back in the day. Just added some plates & fish bone welds after initial welding of the frame was done, it had a 396 big boy motor in it! He drove it for years. It was not real hard to do. MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE & measure some more lol so it drives straight or put a fully adjustable lift kit in so it can be aligned :) Oregon - no salt - no rust!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here's a question I've thought about. The reason most people, including myself, need to replace the frame is because of rust from the lowest part of the frame (center) to the back, (rear suspension mounts). How hard would it be to cut both frames just behind the front trailing arm mount area, then remove the frame from there back and do the reverse installing the 4 cyl frame. You'd simply have to weld the old front section to the new rear section. Reinforce it real good and you've replaced all the bad parts. In my mind it seems alot easier. You don't have to touch the radiator, engine, front suspension at all. Just drop the center skid plate, pull the rear axle, remove the fuel tank and of course all the body mounts. Will have to replace the brake and fuel lines. Am I missing something? It seems easier to do a frame swap this way than a complete swap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Because that's ghetto :whistling: why not do a complete frame swap if you have a good clean frame. Why save parts off a rotted out frame. Its really not that difficult to do just time consuming and the end result is a clean look, not a Frankenstein frame..

Op- Just cut the mounts out the old frame and reuse like stated above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts