Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pondering the thought of swapping my engine out from a 4 to 6. Just wondering if any of you guys had done it before. Wanting to see how big of a headache it was, and should i just trade mine in?

THANKS,
GOD BLESS

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
When I did the research to do the swap in my first YJ, it was more cost effective to swap in a Chevy 350 than a 4.0L, and even more cost effective to sell the Jeep and start over (which I did) You will need new EVERYTHING, transmission, transfer case, computer, motor mounts, etc. It's a lot more work than it's worth IMHO.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I completely agree with Jeeperman. Swapping from a 4 to a 6 is a huge pain in the butt. Unless you have done a bunch of mods that you can't take off to your jeep then I'd vote for trading it in for a six.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
I am just curious as to why you want to make the change. Is the 4 banger shot?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've pondered the 4 to 6 swap myself. There is nothing wrong with my 4 but it eats up a butt load of gas on the freeway and i travel 60 miles round trip everyday to go to college. If i'm going to have a gas guzzeler I might as well have more power and get the 6.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
If you want the six, the best thing you can do is sell the one you have and buy another jeep.

I hate to put it like that, but that's fact.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 4 is no Honda Civic on gas, but it should easly beat the 4.0 even on the freeway.

How BAD is your fuel mileage?

I get 22-24 around town (suburban, not city) w/ my 2000 4.0 driving VERY conservatively. I know folks getting 25 w/ the 4 cyl.

Of course, I also know folks getting 14mpg max w/ the 4.0. A lot comes down to driving style I expect.

Bob
3.78diff, 5-speed, 235-75/15 tires

coolman8bc said:
I've pondered the 4 to 6 swap myself. There is nothing wrong with my 4 but it eats up a butt load of gas on the freeway and i travel 60 miles round trip everyday to go to college. If i'm going to have a gas guzzeler I might as well have more power and get the 6.

·
6,177 Posts
You would have to save a WHOLE LOT of gas to pay for changing out a 4 for a 6. In fact you would NEVER recoup your investment in what you would save on gas. You need to sell it and buy a 6.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I might have lucked out on a 4 to 6 swap. My buddy just got a 2000 wrangler with 43k and a 6 cyl. He wanted the 4 banger for gas. I tried to tell him but he won't listen. Anyways he wants to swap motors and everything else. NO COST!!! just some misc parts that we might have to buy.... well wish me luck I hope it all goes through

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No offense, but that is a terrible idea.

Also, I can't swear to it, but I think the 6 is supposed to get better mileage than the 4. It seems logical to me that the 6 would get better mpg.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
hardy1531 said:
I might have lucked out on a 4 to 6 swap. My buddy just got a 2000 wrangler with 43k and a 6 cyl. He wanted the 4 banger for gas. I tried to tell him but he won't listen. Anyways he wants to swap motors and everything else. NO COST!!! just some misc parts that we might have to buy.... well wish me luck I hope it all goes through
i'm not sure how that will go :/

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
amerijeep said:
No offense, but that is a terrible idea.

Also, I can't swear to it, but I think the 6 is supposed to get better mileage than the 4. It seems logical to me that the 6 would get better mpg.
No the 2.5 gets way better mileage than the 4.0. However when you start putting bigger tires on it then the power goes way down. Even gearing the 2.5 still makes it a dog.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
1BLKJP said:
No the 2.5 gets way better mileage than the 4.0. However when you start putting bigger tires on it then the power goes way down. Even gearing the 2.5 still makes it a dog.
Ah, OK. I didn't know. It seemed the 6 would do better to me, but I wasn't sure. I don't think I've ever driven the 4 before....

·
6,177 Posts
Careful who you are calling a dog. Remember, a bad jeep is better than a great chevy, ford, dodge...

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
hardy1531 said:
It would be significantly easier for you two to just trade Jeeps, rather than trade everything underneath, and I mean EVERYTHING. The computers aren't compatible, the axles need swapped so that he has proper gearing, etc. You should strip the mods off your truck and put them in the new Jeep and trade keys!!!

·
6,177 Posts
amerijeep said:
I was just saying that calling a 4 banger a dog is really unfair. If it meets my needs and does what I need it to do, it is not a dog. I still would rather have a 4 banger jeep than anything else. It's kinda like saying because I love Schnauzers I am less than someone who has Pit Bulls.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Dare2BSquare said:
I was just saying that calling a 4 banger a dog is really unfair. If it meets my needs and does what I need it to do, it is not a dog. I still would rather have a 4 banger jeep than anything else. It's kinda like saying because I love Schnauzers I am less than someone who has Pit Bulls.

Ah, well he didn't mean any offense.

I'd rather have a V8, myself, but that's just opinion. I probably won't get that either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts