Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's alot posted about this topic, but I need a system that can be mounted to the side wall next to the Jeep not the wall behind it. When I back in my garage, there's just enough room to clear the door opener, but I wouldn't be able to stand behind the Jeep. Also I don't need to store the freedom panels on it.
And wondering if anyone has the J-Barr System, and do you like it? Seems expensive but it's simple.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I just helped my neighbor mount a Harken Hoist two weeks ago and we ran it off the side instead of the rear. Can be configured either way as long as you have enough distance from the hoist to the side wall to allow the top to be lifted to the height you want.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Honestly, I don't see the appeal to the J Barr setup. I've accomplished the same thing with a set of $5 harbor freight straps for years.

Pretty much any of the solutions for winches can be run sideways with just a couple of pulleys, but if there's not enough room to stand behind the jeep, is there enough room to open the back window? All of the store bough solutions are set up to work with the back window open except the one that bolts lifting tabs to the back window hinges.

heres a link, just in case you need it.

Products - Hinge Hook Hoist Bracket

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen a couple that claim the back window can be closed after the hook or straps are in place. I'm probably going to have to back in with the window open, than close it once everything is hooked up.
I have a low ceiling and the door opener will be very close-so the appeal of the J-Barr is thats it's just one bar hanging from the ceiling.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Almost all of them can be fashioned to work for your situation with very minor modifications.

If you disregard your question about coming from the side instead of the rear... would you have any easier of a decision to make?

In the end... the connection to the 4 lifting points ends up being somewhat of a square with roughly equal loads on each of the 4 corners.

I think your main concern should be whether or not you will need to close the rear window as mentioned by a previous post.

If you need to be able to close the rear window before lifting... the Harken Hoister "can" do that. I've done it with mine just to see. I also put the freedom panels in a freedom panel bag and sit them on top of the roof before I hoist it up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just looked up the JBARR since you mentioned it...

I helped a friend install a similar lift, and he is very jealous of my Harken Hoister.

The main reason is that once you lift the top off with any of those "single pulley" systems, it will spin in the air while it is hanging there. You can easily attach a strap (static line) to the wall to minimize the rotation, but that's just one more thing to have to deal with.

Biggest downside to the Harken Hoister is that it does take a minimal amount of strength to lift the top. I could see it being an issue for someone with severe arthritis or some other mobility limitation.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I will also chime in. Harken hoist using side wall. And I keep my window closed too. I don't use it to take the top off though. I just grab a couple of my kids and we remove it and carry it over to the hoist. I just elevate it for storage. It's a quality product.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have the lange original manual hoist, and run it to the side wall no problems. i just added an extra eye bolt so the cable runs more parallel to the ceiling rather than at that 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm still in limbo on my hoist project.

I've purchased the 440 lb electric hoist from harbor freight (overkill, I know) but I'm just not sure what parts to get to complete it.

gsvar - Are the eyebolts rated for weight??? I'm not that familiar with them. Is there just one attachment point on the "frame" right above your top? Does the top spin when suspended?

·
Registered
146 Posts
yes the eye bolts are rated for 300+ lbs. they are like lag bolts. drill small pilot hole in stud, get to turning. very stout. it doesnt "spin" per say, but it will move, if you look close you can see the green strap which holds it still while suspended. yes the lange hoist uses an I shaped frame that holds the top, and has 1 eye bold in the center connected to the metal cable. i can snap some pics tonight with it NOT holding the top if you'd like.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Over time is it a problem that the cable rubs on the eye bolt???

I'll take more pics if you don't mind. Since I didn't buy a pre-made system, I'll need to piece together what I can . Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Over time is it a problem that the cable rubs on the eye bolt???

I'll take more pics if you don't mind. Since I didn't buy a pre-made system, I'll need to piece together what I can . Thanks.
yeah, thats temporary til i can get to the hardware store and grab another hanging pulley :happyyes:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Gotcha. If you find one and don't mind, let me know. I can't seem to find one for the weight or if I do find one it says not to lift objects overhead or something.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
i have the lange original manual hoist, and run it to the side wall no problems. i just added an extra eye bolt so the cable runs more parallel to the ceiling rather than at that 45 degree angle.
Exactly what I have and what I did.

I also just put a couple nails in my cross member rafter just above the 2 front hooks and put a couple bungie cords around the front hooks hanging from the nails and that keeps the front up and keeos it from spinning.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I run the Lange power hoist, and have it side mounted. The top can be stored with back window open or closed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts