Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody remove the rear seats in their unlimited? mostly curious what they weigh etc.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The seats weigh 91 pounds. I removed them and had a custom floor built with storage underneath.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks great. Is it aluminum?

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
This forum cracks me up sometimes...

Random question: "How much do rear seats of a JKU weigh?"
Exact answer the next day: "91 pounds"

:thumb:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
How do you get the bolts underneath the rear loose? If I use a breaker bar and socket to get enough leverage, there isn't enough room to turn it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
that looks great. Is it aluminum?

It's steel...strong enough to stand on but very easy for one person to lift. I didn't weigh it, but doubt if it weighs over 20 pounds. As for removing the seat bracket bolts, I used a cordless DeWalt impact wrench....piece o' cake.

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's steel...strong enough to stand on but very easy for one person to lift. I didn't weigh it, but doubt if it weighs over 20 pounds. As for removing the seat bracket bolts, I used a cordless DeWalt impact wrench....piece o' cake.
what did you use for a template? I like this idea.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I got it out just with a socket and wrench. A lot of grunting and painful positions. Make sure to put some anti-seize when reinstalling....
That's why I wanted to remove them. So I could put anti seize on them in case I ever needed to get them out for a reason. The space around the bolts under the rear of the seats is very limited. Don't see how you could get an impact on them unless it was like 3/8" drive inline design.

·
Registered
655 Posts
How do you get the bolts underneath the rear loose? If I use a breaker bar and socket to get enough leverage, there isn't enough room to turn it.
I took mine out. Bolts are lock-tighted so you need a big 18mm wrench and a lot of grunt to loosen the ones under the seats. Most can be accessed by an impact wrench which easily breaks them loose. You can squirt w2 or some other lubricant from underneath. Not a 15 minute job, but opens up a lot of space for dogs or cargo.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
what did you use for a template? I like this idea.
My friend that built it measured everything...then cut it on his plasma cutter. It's one piece except for the doors and the front cross-brace. He was talking about redesigning it so the sides were seperate pieces, making the unit flat so it could be shipped easier. It uses 3 existing bolts at the back/top and one bolt on each side panel through holes drilled in the floor of the jeep.

Kilby Enterprises used to make something similar...but it has been unavailable for over a year even though it shows as a new item on their website. Tuffy indicated a possible interest in producing something like it...so I sent photos to them.

As for the impact wrench used, I had no problem accessing the bolts with DeWalt's 1/2-inch 18V impact wrench (DW059B). That entire series of tools is wonderful...they use the same batteries so you don't have to buy the rather pricey batteries with each tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Doesn't that defeat the whole point of having four doors?
Ummm...no. Some of us don't have enough friends to require a back seat. :rolleyes: And some of us hate backseat drivers. The back doors are extra tailgates.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Moabite, I actually saw this post on another site (expedition portal) and then created a post on this forum trying to find where I could get this piece. Of course a kind member led me to your posting here so I am hoping your friend is selling this. Any info would be great, thank you!

*Edit*
I'd actually be looking for something that could also cover the rear dip compartment closest to the tailgate up to the edge of the trim.. Basically the idea is to create a completely flat surface with the hidden compartments accessible with the hinged doors that you have made in yours. Then I'm going to cover it in bedliner and have some sort of locking mechanism put on them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lol sure this, I did, but my hands were covered in blood. For it was the will of knowing my dogs would be happily riding with me:)

I remember this day clear as day, my hands never hurt so bad, so bloody, I was so sweaty and so F'ing pissed.

After reading this thread, I now know why.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Moabite, I actually saw this post on another site (expedition portal) and then created a post on this forum trying to find where I could get this piece. Of course a kind member led me to your posting here so I am hoping your friend is selling this. Any info would be great, thank you!

*Edit*
I'd actually be looking for something that could also cover the rear dip compartment closest to the tailgate up to the edge of the trim.. Basically the idea is to create a completely flat surface with the hidden compartments accessible with the hinged doors that you have made in yours. Then I'm going to cover it in bedliner and have some sort of locking mechanism put on them.
Here you go!

http://www.dirtydog4x4.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16281&category_id=273

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
those are a good idea but they look like just a couple pieces of carpet.
I think they're more than that here's a quote" This is perfect for dog owners, campers who sleep in the back after a day of wheeling or anyone who doesn't like the unfinished look when the seats are down."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd actually be looking for something that could also cover the rear dip compartment closest to the tailgate up to the edge of the trim.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts