Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be adding to this periodically as I complete each aspect Also I will include where I purchased everything OK in 1989 my great grandfather retired and purchased the 1989 Jeep Wrangler He drove it everywhere in 1994 he sold it to my grandfather who drove it until 1999 when he sold it to my father my father drove it for a few years and then parked it in the garage behind our house where it sat I graduated high school in 2012 and my father had always said that it would be mine. However he just could not give it up. Until last year 2018 when he finally gave it to me. My great grandfather and my grandfather have both passed since then and their bodies were cremated. This is the build. I am restoring this jeep back to its glory but with a few modern touches like comped cut fenders and a lift kit. I plan to mix my grandfathers and great-grandfathers ashes into the clearcoat so no matter where I go they will be a part of this jeep and I one day will give it to my son. So here’s a few pictures of how she sits now and what I manage to do in just a few hours

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some work I did today. If you don’t want to piss with bending and whatnot hit up quadratec and buy the panels. Then you can just cut what you need off of them. Made in USA too. But yea not bad for a few hours of work/drinking. More drinking then work though.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wrote on a different thread that you had bitten off more than you can chew. I apologize, I was wrong…..I think you have picked the PERFECT project to work on. Four generations in one family is something to SHOUT about. I'll keep an eye out for more posts and progress and wish you luck with a wonderful project. I'm sure your grandfathers will be proud of you.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Good.... It is certainly best to get rid of all the rust. Once you cut out that outer layer you usually find more inside that has to go. Do it right the first time so you aren't diving back into it in a few years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I will be finishing up some repairs tonight. Then the tub is coming off where I will be reinforcing the tub and spraying some rubberized coating. So yea I don’t want to do this again for awhile.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So finished up the first bad spot. One more to go on the other side. Each new piece is coated with undercoating to prevent rusting. Also once all is done all seams will be sealed with panel adhesive and then tub will be coated with rhino liner or a tube rises coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So didn’t get much done other then finishing up the passenger side and removing some thing in preparation of remove it the tub. Also if anyone has an idea on the best diy coating for the tub much appreciation. If like to bedline the whole Jeep but with so many options and mixed reviews personal experience is best

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So engine was removed and taken to the machine shop. Trans is next to go. Picking up a diner Jeep for a few parts tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So got a call from the machine shop. The head has a crack in it. So I will be pulling one from the junkyard. Block is being boarded .020. Crank will be checked tomorrow but based on the condition of the main and cam bearings I don’t presume much will need to be done. Saturday I will be picking up a diner 1989 Jeep Wrangler. I will be useing the tub and a few parts as the tub has zero rust. So I will use it for my Jeep and continue repaired the current tub on the side. Of course I will swap the vin plates. I have the title for both. The frame on the diner is also solid as a rock. So I can sell that to someone who is looking for one. The good is shot and so are the seats but I have the seats with the imprint of my grandfathers ass in it. (He was a big big guy). But everything else is going good. I’ll update everyone with the progress as it happens.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so an update today I installed the 4.88 gears and chromolly axles to my rear Dana 35. I also started sanding the body to prep for paint. The trans just got back from the shop fully rebuilt for 800. The engine is almost done. With the bore, crank turning new pistons and rings and new bearings throughout it costed me 590. I do need to get a new head and clean up the Mansfield’s. Coming in the mail I have and HDI distributor new water pump new oil pump thermostat and a 2150 carb with adapter plate. So it’s almost time boys. However, an issue arises. I bought a YJ harness frome someone on cregslist. Turns out it’s a YJ harness for the 4.0 and not the 4.2. Any help on getting her to work would help

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I decided to utilize the harness for the lights and use aftermarket gauges and start button and run my own wires. Raptor liner is comeing in the mail for the inside. The dash has been painted and ready to install after the raptor liner is done. Engine is done at the machine shop and ready to be assembled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the inside and out has been raptor lined. I also started assembly on the engine block. Running into a few snags because the bolts were no good so will need to buy some new ones. Overall assembly came pretty easy. The biggest issue is finding an oil pump pickup tube. Instead of replacing the oil pump I opened it and inspect it to Gear’s they all seemed in perfect condition however the fork on the top of the shaft was kind of a V-shaped due to wher instead of replacing the oil pump I opened it and inspected the gears they all seemed in perfect condition however the fork on the top of the shaft was kind of V-shaped due to wear. To fix this I remove the shaft pulled out my stick welder and put a nice hot bead in between the two forks. I then hardened it and using a metal cut a new slot in the top for the distributor to fit in. I’ve done this once before with my 454 and 110,000 miles later it still holds perfect pressure with no issue. I will say though it would’ve been easier to purchase an aftermarket oil pump because finding a pick up tube that will work for my OEM oil pump is becoming a bit difficult. I found that 3 gallons of the raptor liner was perfect for the jeep I focused extra heavy coats in the foot wells and where the typical rust spots are common on the to I found that 3 gallons of the raptor liner was perfect for the jeep I focused extra heavy coats in the foot wells and where the typical rust spots are common on the tub. I believe in the foot wells I did five or six coats where is areas that your feet are not touching like the sides of the tub and under the seats I put the standard two coats. Under the seats does not need to be as durable as where your feet are so spending the extra money on that product would not really be necessary. The HEI distributor I purchased was from Amazon. After purchasing one from Summit racing and comparing casting numbers I ended up returning the summit racing distributor because it was identical to the one I bought on Amazon for a quarter of the price. I painted the entire engine block with a ceramic coating I probably should’ve chose a color other than black as now I won’t be able to see if I have an oil leak before it gets really bad. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to illuminate the water passages on the intake manifold as there are conflicting arguments on whether or not they are necessary. I have however chosen to install a rare MC 2100 with a manual choke. And I also installed the cable locker on the front DIf. The cable locker are used the lawnmower throttle method.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts