Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have a pic of the top lifted. But have used it and worked great. I already had 2 ratchet straps. So , all I had to buy was 4 3/8 by 4.5 eye bolts for 96 cents each. Run the straps through the top on each side. I'm sure this has been done before but wanted to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I may go this route since I couldn't figure out the Harken hoist. What do you connect the rear ones to? Through the Jeep and connect to front straps?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
That's how it looks. You'd have the rear window open and run the straps from the rear window to the back door frame and then ratchet them up.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
This has been working for the two tops (mine and my son's) I hang in my garage for years!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Will this crack the hard top at all since the load isn't distributed as evenly as some other lifts?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may go this route since I couldn't figure out the Harken hoist. What do you connect the rear ones to? Through the Jeep and connect to front straps?
I run one strap from one eye bolts though the top to the other eye bolt on the same side. That way the only thing contacting the top is the nylon strap. That's only two straps. The ratchet is just hanging from one eye bolt and the strap from the other. I run he strap through the top and attach it to the ratchet already hanging on the other side.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will this crack the hard top at all since the load isn't distributed as evenly as some other lifts?
shouldn't. I have seen numerous other people using this lift with no negative effects even after long term storage this way. I can't say myself. Haven't left it hanging there long term. But every thing I have read says they haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may actually try the cam buckle straps. They seem like they would be easier to raise and lower. I just worried about the strength of the buckle holding the top for long times, since it doesn't really lock the strap in place. Others have used them with success though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I may actually try the cam buckle straps. They seem like they would be easier to raise and lower. I just worried about the strength of the buckle holding the top for long times, since it doesn't really lock the strap in place. Others have used them with success though.
Can buckle solution. So easy to lift, believe it or not even easier to lower...

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you think there would be any issue with it being there long term? I worry about the straps coming loose since they don't lock like a ratchet strap.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
do you think there would be any issue with it being there long term? I worry about the straps coming loose since they don't lock like a ratchet strap.
You can always use ratchet straps or even chain to hang it from after lifting with the cam straps if you're worried about it slipping. I built an outside frame just for my hardtop since I don't have a garage. My long term storage each year is dropping it back down to rest on some 2x4s. Works pretty well but I've gotta figure out how to keep the inside of HT from getting all dirty and funky.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
How do you raise and lower with just yourself? Do one side first a little bit, then go to the other side and so same.....rinse repeat?

Cam straps are so quick and easy though,.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How do you raise and lower with just yourself? Do one side first a little bit, then go to the other side and so same.....rinse repeat? Cam straps are so quick and easy though,.
That's exactly it. A couple of pulls on each side. Easy pulls, you just have to go slow and careful. And it's quite secure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's been up a week and holding. The weight pulls on the cam buckle teeth and holds it in place. Also, with my setup each eye screw is rated 250lbs. and each strap, 400lbs. So I got 1800lbs. setup supporting 150lbs. It's quite secure.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I did the same thing for my hardtop.. Instead of using ratchet straps I used the pull straps with the gator clips on them.. It's a million times easier to lower the top with these straps over the ratchet straps.. Works great and is a one man job :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That's exactly it. A couple of pulls on each side. Easy pulls, you just have to go slow and careful. And it's quite secure.
Exactly. Ratchet straps with eye bolts. I can put it on and take it off by myself. When you space them properly, it automatically distributes the weight evenly by itself. I have no worries about it falling or anything cracking.:bop:

·
Registered
331 Posts
simple setup

I've been using this exact setup for about a year now. Its truly the easiest method aside from setting on the floor.

Good for you.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts