Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have transfer case problems if 4 high works fine but wont do anything but grind when I try to go to 4 low ?

·
Administrator
42,599 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Most likely a shifter linkage adjustment is needed. Especially if a body lift has been installed.

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
Most likely a shifter linkage adjustment is needed. Especially if a body lift has been installed.
this, BL or a transfer case drop.

since one end of the linkage is connected to the body and the other end is connected to the TC that mounts to the frame, anytime there is a change in that relationship, the linkage needs adjusting. whether through adjusting the current linkage, adding a bracket, or removing the whole thing and installing a cable

·
Registered
38 Posts
I purchased a completely stock TJ that skipped 4HI. It ended up being the linkage. They can get bent or loose over time even without a lift. In my case I replaced it since I broke the rusted adjustment bolt. I'm willing to bet this is your issue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Before going and taking your jeep to the shop or tearing apart your transfer case make sure you are putting 4L into gear the proper way, There is a proper way to shift your jeep into 4L and if not done properly the sound it produces is not pretty, check out the link to a mopar jeep owners tips video , skip the video to about the 40:40 mark, follow the instructions as stated on the video, if tor still having an issue after a few tries, might want to being it in to the shop..Let us know if that fixes the problem... Good luck!!
https://youtu.be/VlD6cQAdFTc

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Before going and taking your jeep to the shop or tearing apart your transfer case make sure you are putting 4L into gear the proper way, There is a proper way to shift your jeep into 4L and if not done properly the sound it produces is not pretty, check out the link to a mopar jeep owners tips video , skip the video to about the 40:40 mark, follow the instructions as stated on the video, if tor still having an issue after a few tries, might want to being it in to the shop..Let us know if that fixes the problem... Good luck!!
https://youtu.be/VlD6cQAdFTc
Thanks for posting that video - first time I've seen it! :happyyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts