Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 4.0 3 speed auto no mods
Over the past couple of days, I have had to use 4wd to get up and down my driveway because of snow and ice.
Here is the scenario, drive way is a "Y" so I head up and take the right side, then stop and back up the left. It's much easier to back up the left than to try and back down then up the right. Cannot back all the way down as it's a busy street.
The question is I notice in 4 low while turning I get wheel chatter or wheel hop. Not sure if it's just the tires slipping in the ice and snow and is normal? In 4 high the Jeep speed is too fast and end up braking and sliding down the hill of the driveway.
Thanks for you thoughts
Pete
Happy New Jeep Year!

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If you are hitting dry pavement or really compacted Snow, you could get some chatter, as you need some slippage for 4low. Could also be the sign of a front u-joint going bad in the axle shaft. check for play.

Reactions: pvansch1

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Both 4Hi and 4Lo mechanically lock the front and rear driveshafts/axles together which means the tires will chirp/make the steering wonky on some surfaces. That's just a trait of the Wrangler's part-time 4x4 system. Don't worry about it, it absolutely does no harm to anything in your drivetrain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts