Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X with a 4 in lift on it. Right now it has 37 inch tires on it. But I'd like to get some smaller tires to go on it. I'm toying with the idea of 33 inch tires, but I'm wondering if it would look ridiculous with my lift? Anybody got any pictures they could post of what this might look like?

I'd also like to see some 35 inch tires with a 4 inch lift to compare! Any opinions or advice on the matter would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
So I just bought a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X with a 4 in lift on it. Right now it has 37 inch tires on it. But I'd like to get some smaller tires to go on it. I'm toying with the idea of 33 inch tires, but I'm wondering if it would look ridiculous with my lift? Anybody got any pictures they could post of what this might look like?

I'd also like to see some 35 inch tires with a 4 inch lift to compare! Any opinions or advice on the matter would be appreciated!
My advice would to be lose the lift and do a leveling kit. Rule of thumb is only lift the vehicle high enough to clear the tire size you want to run as it's the tires that increase ground clearance not the lift, the lift is to clear the tires.

Also a 4" lift is very difficult on things such as oem drive shafts wearing very prematurely not to mention a much worse center of gravity so if you plan on sticking with 33's then a 4" lift is serious overkill.

Also do you know if the Jeep has been regeared?...If not you will love how it performs going down to a 33 but if it's been regeared then it will run at pretty high RPM's on the highway so that's another thing to think about.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My advice would to be lose the lift and do a leveling kit. Rule of thumb is only lift the vehicle high enough to clear the tire size you want to run as it's the tires that increase ground clearance not the lift, the lift is to clear the tires.

Also a 4" lift is very difficult on things such as oem drive shafts wearing very prematurely not to mention a much worse center of gravity so if you plan on sticking with 33's then a 4" lift is serious overkill.

Also do you know if the Jeep has been regeared?...If not you will love how it performs going down to a 33 but if it's been regeared then it will run at pretty high RPM's on the highway so that's another thing to think about.
My thoughts, as well, on the 4". Personally, I think 2.5" lift with 35's is an ideal combination for daily driver and weekend off-roader. Not too much, not too little. With the AEV 2.5" lift and Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17 tires, my Jeep sits 4" higher than factory:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings folks, just joined the forum even though I've been reading posts online for months, but JUST bought my stock '05 TJ about two hours ago. I figured now was respectfully the time to sign on. With that being said, I'm headed to the shop tomorrow to talk lifts, wheels & tires with my guys at Off Road Warehouse in San Diego. I'm thinking 4-4.5" suspension with 1.5" body with either 33" or 35" BFG MTs. I realize most threads are pretty outdated, so I was looking for newer advice for a 70/30 daily driver/off roader. Thanks!

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
as it's the tires that increase ground clearance not the lift, the lift is to clear the tires.
Not 100% accurate as the lift does increase approach and departure angles... aka ground clearance when approaching/departing an obstacle that is higher then the surrounding ground. With that said, the gist of VansMudder's post is till good advice as for keeping the CG as low as possible for your needs. As with every Jeep, it's going to depend on what your want to do off road that determines how you should build it... or in your case, de-build it. lol

Since it already has 37s on it, do you know if the axles and gears were upgraded to support those? If they were, it's quite possible you could sell the whole setup to pay for your new setup and still have some cash left over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ETOIMOΣ;23767410 said:
Not 100% accurate as the lift does increase approach and departure angles... aka ground clearance when approaching/departing an obstacle that is higher then the surrounding ground. With that said, the gist of VansMudder's post is till good advice as for keeping the CG as low as possible for your needs. As with every Jeep, it's going to depend on what your want to do off road that determines how you should build it... or in your case, de-build it. lol

Since it already has 37s on it, do you know if the axles and gears were upgraded to support those? If they were, it's quite possible you could sell the whole setup to pay for your new setup and still have some cash left over.
I'm not entirely sure if the axles and gears were upgraded, is there a sure tell sign for that that I could look for? I don't have contact with the previous owner.

·
Registered
612 Posts
ETOIMOΣ;23767410 said:

I actually think he was 100% accurate...perhaps its a relative topic...What you are talking about is approach and departure angle/clearance. Actual ground clearance, in simplest terms, is the lowest part of the vehicle...and that is diffs. Only way to raise diffs is with taller tires. But this is way off topic...

OP, I agree with others that if you want to go that far down in tire size you should look into swapping out lifts. You might even be able to do this for free if you convince someone that wants a 4" to foot the bill and he gets your lift.

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
I actually think he was 100% accurate...perhaps its a relative topic...What you are talking about is approach and departure angle/clearance. Actual ground clearance, in simplest terms, is the lowest part of the vehicle...and that is diffs. Only way to raise diffs is with taller tires. But this is way off topic...
Yes, he was correct that only the tires effect ground clearance. As I stated, I was talking about approach/departure angles. Where I probably caused confusion is when I was talking about "ground clearance" for the front and rear bumpers. I was really just trying to point out that the lift is not only for fitting larger tires. A/D angle is pretty important on the trail. That's why they invented the stubby bumpers... to get the tires to the obstacle first. Raising the bumper (and other components underneath) further out of the way via a lift also helps with this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts