Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally ordered my lift kit.I went with the 4" fabtech.I have a couple of questions though.
1.I know I will have to get a longer drive shaft or have mine modified,does anyone have a genaral idea how much longer it will need to be?
2.I keep reading SYE assosiated with a lift of 4" or greater I know what SYE stands for but what does it do and is it nesassry for a jeep that will see no offroad use?
thanks in advance Tony.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yes odds are you will have pretty good vibrations with 4" of lift and no SYE. Length will depend on your rear axle etc....that's why it's always safe to install your SYE and your lift before you measure for your dshaft.

SYE being Slip Yoke Eliminator converts the rear of your TCase from a Slip Yoke to a Fixed Yoke. The stock setup has the dshaft riding on the rear output shaft directly. The SYE will convert that to a fixed yoke constant velocity setup with your new drive shaft. This also allows for approximately a 6" longer dshaft over stock.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Not Neccesary

If he is not going off road with this Jeep, why not just drop the skid plate down 1.5"-2" like most lift kits supply spacers for. It is not like he is going to have a clearance issue, on the street. If it is just going to be a "pavement princess", why go to that expence?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bluvikng said:
If he is not going off road with this Jeep, why not just drop the skid plate down 1.5"-2" like most lift kits supply spacers for. It is not like he is going to have a clearance issue, on the street. If it is just going to be a "pavement princess", why go to that expence?
so your are saying if I dont go off road I wont need a longer shaft or an SYE?
I will probally add these in the future but I am out of funds for now.the jeep will stay on the road 99% of the time it may it some muddy fields but that would be it.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Most of the Jeeps in our club have 4" lifts, and none of them have the SYE done. They all put in the spacers for the skid plate, and the Rubicons don't need spacers, because of having a fixed yoke at each end of the drive shaft. No problems from anyone yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got it back.no vibration or death wobble that I can tell.its runs nice with this kit.I almost think I should have went with bigger than 33s for the street.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
couple of pics with the new 4" lift and my 33x12.50s

[URL="
[/URL]

[URL="
[/URL]

the lift is fab tech the wheels and tires are pro comp.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Looking good! You will be very happy with those tires, I ran a set on my YJ and they were better by far than my BFG M/Ts, and as good as my current MTRs.

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
quite an old thread, but I'll chime in. they are still packaging their lifts with a drop pitman arm, that speaks volumes into how little R&D they have done and even after a decade, refuse to grow with the community. then we can talk about the short comings of their control arms, i'd steer clear

not a good thing IMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts