Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2000 Tj a while a go with a 4inch rough country suspension lift. It was always stiff but the jeep sat for 2 years with the previous owner so i figured it would loosen up when i started driving it. Ive driven it for a while and been on trails and it is still so stiff. When driving down the road it feels like axles are welded to the frame. Also no flex, when trailing the thing barely flexes, how much will sway bar disconnects help? Also it seems all the control arms are stock, thought the lift wouldve changed lengths. Appreciate anything anyone has to say. Thanks

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Rough Country is said to be rough. I would look at replacing coils, shocks, and control arms at a minimum. Disconnects would help/hurt on the trail. Meaning that there is a better alternative to disconnecting the front axle.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
The root cause of the stiff ride are Rough Country's crappy shock absorbers, not the springs. Get some better shocks... like Old Man Emu Nitrochargers, Savvy Offroad specially valved Fox shocks, Fox 2.0, Rancho RS9000XL, Rancho RS5000x, or for just cheap soft riding shocks, Skyjacker Hydros or Zone Hydros.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would check you tire pressure first. It should be mid 20's to 30 depending on tire size. Your shocks may also be stiff for your vehicle. A smooth soft for a truck is a stiff shock on a jeep. A disconnect, proper bump stops and proper shocks will contribute to good flex. Even with your sway bar disconnected your axle will only travel up until the bump stops hit or down until the shock is fully extended.

You can test these things pretty easily, check your flex with a floor jack with and without your shocks and sway bar bolted up. Also lower your pressure down in your tires, if you have a soft top and 4 cylinder it may have to go way down. Look up chalk test and try that. Once your tire pressure is right you can remove your shocks and take it for a spin, avoid and sharp turns at speed because you will have quite a bit of body roll. If it is rough ridding with your shocks removed you either need different/lighter springs or you have something binding up. If it rides smoother just buy some lighter shocks.

Your sway bar will only make it ride rougher on the trail where there are big bumps, it is on there to keep the outside corner of the jeep from diving when you take a sharp turn. On a rough road or rocks it will cause the front to rock from side to side but it won't make a difference on something like a speed bump.

·
Registered
83 Posts
well yes the shocks are the worst part of rough country lifts, i would not go with rancho if you want a softer ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
mine rides much smoother than anticipated with teraflex coils and bilsteins. not a whole lot rougher than it rode on stock 15 year old coils and blown out stock 15 year old shocks. Stiffer yet smoother at the same time. Much less body roll than before even though its COG is much higher.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
well yes the shocks are the worst part of rough country lifts, i would not go with rancho if you want a softer ride.
The old Rancho RS5000 was horribly stiff riding, the new RS5000x with its new valving provides a very good ride with excellent offroad control. I spent years advising people not to go with the RS5000 but the RS5000x is something I've been running for something like 10 months and it's a great shock with a very good ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The old Rancho RS5000 was horribly stiff riding, the new RS5000x with its new valving provides a very good ride with excellent offroad control. I spent years advising people not to go with the RS5000 but the RS5000x is something I've been running for something like 10 months and it's a great shock with a very good ride.
how would you compare them to bilstein 5100's? last pair of rancho shocks i had in a bronco although several years ago forget model number but had adjustable air with gauges the finish was horrible not any better than a $17 monroe and started rusting and corroding in about 1 year "lived 1 block from the pacific ocean at the time" went to bilstein 5100's and have never looked back. So I am curious about not only ride quality but also build quality and fit and finish. Thanks in advance

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I'm not of the opinion that Bilstein 5100 shocks ride as well as their cost says they should. Personally, I like the ride of my current Rancho RS5000x shocks better. That's after having owned ProComp, Doetsch Tech, Rancho RS9000, Rock Krawler, Rubicon Express Monotubes, and most recently before my Rancho RS5000x shocks, Old Man Emu Nitrochargers. Rancho is a good upper-quality shock, there's nothing wrong with their fit and finish. If you live where the roads are salted, nearly anything with paint on them will eventually have problems with rust/corrosion.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I have the 5100s on my 2 door JK and do not really care for them. They are fine on the highway and do well off road over slow stuff, but on a fairly rough trail the will knock your teeth out. On our crumbling streets with ruts, potholes and mounds of pavement inexplicably strewn about they are prone to toss you around so that your head hits the roll bar. So I love them for some stuff. However, truth be told, I really want them to die so I can justify the cost of some OME Nitrochargers.

Since the JK is heavier than the TJ by a good bit I might end up with the Rancho RS9000XLs because they are adjustable. I really like that jeep to ride like (oddly, I know) an F-150 on the highway, but like a small, light jeep on the trail. I think the adjustability would help me get something like what I am imagining out of my JK.

My TJ has OME shocks that replaced the old, blown out Skyjackers. The dead SJ shocks made the TJ ride just like an old "Wild West" buckboard. Yeah, I have indeed ridden on buckboards. It was *that* bad, like a pain-filled hell. Once I finally got them off (because: upper rear shock bolts) and put on the OMEs the ride was extremely nice, like it was a different Jeep altogether.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not of the opinion that Bilstein 5100 shocks ride as well as their cost says they should. Personally, I like the ride of my current Rancho RS5000x shocks better. That's after having owned ProComp, Doetsch Tech, Rancho RS9000, Rock Krawler, Rubicon Express Monotubes, and most recently before my Rancho RS5000x shocks, Old Man Emu Nitrochargers. Rancho is a good upper-quality shock, there's nothing wrong with their fit and finish. If you live where the roads are salted, nearly anything with paint on them will eventually have problems with rust/corrosion.
Good to know!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had a RC lift installed by the PO. My God was it rough. It was not just the shocks. The clevite bushed control arms very nearly needed a come along to cause to rotate/articulate, once freed on one end. Simply put, the suspension was locked in position by the crappy control arms.

Stuff matters and there is a difference. My Currie control arms are no noodles but once installed I can certainly, with my arms, rotate them in the JJs. It is not easy, but I do not need a hydraulic jack to rotate them! A 4000 pound Jeep will have no issue.

I removed everything the PO installed, replaced with Currie and Savvy. My Jeep rides cushy, quiet and corners nicely.

Junk is junk. BTW, I have Rancho RS9000. Front set typically 3 or 5 and rear set 1 or 3. I had the Rancho 5000 on a previous Toyota HiLux. They served me very well in that installation for about 300,000 miles. The lifetime warranty replaced them twice.

J

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
@Ztherrien1881

Lot's of good places to start in the above advise. Also, you may have had the OP install the lift and not wait until the rig was sitting on it's own weight to torque the CAs.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts