Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got installed a 4" RC lift with steering stabilizer and it makes some sudden wandering specially at around 60 mph. Lift did not came with control arms I was told that getting from lower control arms would stop the problem. If so what control arms you guys recommend?

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
So just got installed a 4" RC lift with steering stabilizer and it makes some sudden wandering specially at around 60 mph. Lift did not came with control arms I was told that getting from lower control arms would stop the problem. If so what control arms you guys recommend?
The 4" RC kit is missing quality caster correction. It uses cam bolts which don't provide enough caster at 4" of lift. Their 3.5 Series II is a much better kit...

Adding a set of geometry brackets should make for a much better drive.

Rubicon Express RE9800 - Rubicon Express Control Arm Drop Brackets for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does have cam bolts. And now I'm stuck with this lift. Sucks is actually my wife's jeep and I wanted to surprise her with a new look now she can't drive it and I don't think is safe for her or the kids. So trying to find out how to fix it so she can have it back.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Do you have cam bolts ? At 4" of lift running too much caster is bad too.
Ok Ken, what about running the geo brackets in the middle hole using the cam bolts in the axle? It would take a little caster out of the brackets... The cam bolts alone end up pretty low on caster when lifted that high. I think this might be doable...

The other option is running the geo brackets and putting on a cam bolt eliminator kit (cheap). His wife is driving, he needs good road manners...

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you don't have heavy bumpers or sliders you might have gotten over 4" of lift. If you don't plan on adding bumpers, might be worth looking at shorter springs to swap in, will make it easier to get a better ride on road. You should get the measurements of your lift to compare to stock and see how much it actually lifted.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Well we would have to know his current caster. If at 3.5° i cant say .5-1° is going to make a huge difference.
I think 1* would be pretty important depending on where he is at. But I agree, it would be good to know what he has. Also, if toe was not adjusted after the lift, he might have too little toe and that can wander quite a bit too. The combination of bad toe and low caster makes for a wonky driving Jeep.

Definitely think the brackets would help a TON.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I'm gonna order the brackets and hope that fixes the problem. Il probably be changing the bumper and add a wench on the future.The shop that installed the lift also aligned it and said that's the best they could do. Thanks for all the help!! Will post when I get the brackets and update the result.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Alright I'm gonna order the brackets and hope that fixes the problem. Il probably be changing the bumper and add a wench on the future.The shop that installed the lift also aligned it and said that's the best they could do. Thanks for all the help!! Will post when I get the brackets and update the result.
Ask them for the alignment sheet and post it up. That would help us a TON.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What tires and pressure? I find mine pulls around ALOT with 30+ psi but at 25-27psi it is settled.

I have 35's on 15" rims with 4.5" of lift.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
it will certainly help. Plus after you add the heavier gear you can change which hole the control arm is mounted in to properly adjust castor again. If you're in a position to do so I would get shorter springs as others have mentioned. My castor is spot on with factory in the hole used for my lift height. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was done 2 weeks ago I wonder if they would still have the shit. I got toyo open country AT 35x12.5 at the recommended pressure I would assume 33-35 haven't check

·
Registered
837 Posts
It was done 2 weeks ago I wonder if they would still have the shit. I got toyo open country AT 35x12.5 at the recommended pressure I would assume 33-35 haven't check
Temporarily try dropping the air pressure down to 27 or so it may help alot. It does with mine.

Mine is lifted about 4.5" but my mopar/teraflex lift came with lower arms in the front and a rear track bar bracket and arms for the rear. Drives straight as an arrow even better than at stock no lift height. This is with a stock steering damper and track bars.

Maybe a set of front control arms? You can get the rubicon express ones for under 200$ shipped and can correct the caster.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Any reason why you cant take it back to the shop that installed the lift and have them fix it up for you?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just got the same tires and they recommended 45 psi. I dropped to 30.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did twice and they did get it some what better than before. They're answer was all lifted trucks (jeeps) do that that I should of spected that. I did spected a more stiff ride but not to be all over the road lol (not funny) I probably will get pulled over thinking I'm drunk driving

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Well, they should have told you what spec was out on the alignment... And then suggested a few different ways to fix it. It can all be fixed with a couple $$ tossed at it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts