Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the need to have to replace the drive shafts one you install a lift over 3.5 inches... but I've read so many posts where people qualify that need with "automatic transmissions"... what's the difference with a manual? I'm assuming the geometry isn't the same, but can't confirm.

also, I've read some posts out there that indicate that only the front DS is actually needed - I don't think this is accurate, but wanted to check here.

just doing some research, '12 jku with a 6 speed. thinking maybe OME, I read nothing but rave reviews both on and off the pavement.

thoughts?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The front DS is shorter so when you lift your Jeep it's angle becomes steeper and exceeds the operating angle of the joint which eventually leads to failure. The rear DS angle is less severe is always under load so it will eventually fail but typically the front goes first.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that part - but I'm wondering why people sometimes qualify their lift recommendations/requirements by differentiating auto vs manual tranny. is there a significant geometry difference between the 2 transmissions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts