Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!!! I've been reading for awhile and been trying to do as much research as I can and thought I had come to a conclusion on my lift. TF 2.5 lift with the coils and blestin shocks, but when I went to 4WP yesterday the guys told me that a 4" lift is what he would recommend and I told him I didn't want to have any issues with the DT and he said that is wouldn't make a difference on my jk. So today I called the 1800# in there catalogue and spoke to a gentlemen and he said I wouldn't have any issues either and just now spoke with another shop in town and was told the same thing. Now keep in mind its a DD and the top end of my budget was $1000 which was well under but if I can do as they say for a couple hundred more I can go to 4". I'm having a hard time believing them after everything I've read on here........ Any advice from the Jeep masters out there.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
DT as in drivetrain?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes DT is drive tran. The one they where pushing was the "Rancho 4" Sport Suspension System" part #RANRS6507B on the 4Wheel Parts site

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Yes DT is drive tran. The one they where pushing was the "Rancho 4" Sport Suspension System" part #RANRS6507B on the 4Wheel Parts site
Personally I would run a teraflex kit over a Rancho one, Rancho makes some great shocks but as for lift I think there are better choices. What size tires are you wanting to run? the 2.5" will be enough to clear 35's so unless you're planning on going bigger the 4" is somewhat pointless. Determine your goals tire wise and pick a lift accordingly, keep in mind many shops will push certain brands due to higher profit margins on them or due to familiarity with that brand in other applications. Seems the best Jeep lifts are made by manufacturers who only do jeep parts, most of the big names in truck lifts are not the most desired ones in jeeps

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Keep in mind on critical thing - you are the one that will have to deal with any problems, headaches, or failures on your vehicle. Not a sales representative, not a parts clerk, etc.

Be wary when people push things at you for money. Is it really a better system or do they get an incentive to push a part on you? Honestly, it is nearly impossible to tell.

Experience among various Jeep owners here has shown that a 4 inch lift on a JK will have problems over time. For some, it may appear in a few thousand miles. For others, it may be many thousands of miles. It all depends on the quality of parts, how you drive off road, and the quality of installation. You can compensate for the problems now by installing parts that will not likely fail or you can put it off and something will fail on the trail, at 2AM, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I'm planning on sticking with 33's for the tire and it seems like my gut feeling and research tells me the TF 2.5" lift with new shocks is all I need. Thanks

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Even if you never go off road, it is really not advisable to install a larger lift (as in 4") if you have a limited budget. You will need to cut corners and its is very likely you will need to replace other parts.

Like any other sales organization, off road shops will say whatever it takes in many cases to push their products, even if it is with good intention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah makes since when you look at a 4" lift going for $700 on one page and $3500 on the other that some where things aren't being done right or in other words "that dog don't hunt"

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey guys!!! I've been reading for awhile and been trying to do as much research as I can and thought I had come to a conclusion on my lift. TF 2.5 lift with the coils and blestin shocks, but when I went to 4WP yesterday the guys told me that a 4" lift is what he would recommend and I told him I didn't want to have any issues with the DT and he said that is wouldn't make a difference on my jk. So today I called the 1800# in there catalogue and spoke to a gentlemen and he said I wouldn't have any issues either and just now spoke with another shop in town and was told the same thing. Now keep in mind its a DD and the top end of my budget was $1000 which was well under but if I can do as they say for a couple hundred more I can go to 4". I'm having a hard time believing them after everything I've read on here........ Any advice from the Jeep masters out there.
Anything over 3.5" of lift will need some additional issues addressed like drive shafts, posible steering upgrades and things of that nature. 2.5" is a great height to start out with due to this and the fact that on most 2.5" kits you can get 35's under the factory flares.

RK

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ridiculous that any salesman would recommend a 4 inch lift over a 2.5. First of all, the more you lift, the more it affects the drivetrain and all geometry. Second, 2.5 inches will easily clear 33 inch tires, where 4 inches will make your 33 inch tires look way too small for the space in the fenders. In fact, if you really don't plan bigger than 33s, seriously consider a budget boost.

Third, Teraflex rides nice and smooth, where Rancho rides like a tank. I have experience with both.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Whoa a 4 inch lift for 33s? Run as far away from that shop as you can get as fast as you can. You can run 33s with ZERO lift and some minor fender/air dam trimming tho most folks do a body boost or small lift. I would not let that shop anywhere near my Jeep.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks I'm planning on sticking with 33's for the tire and it seems like my gut feeling and research tells me the TF 2.5" lift with new shocks is all I need. Thanks
stay with this... ^^^^
4" lift is going to cost way more then $1000 if done correctly...
4wheelparts will only try to sell certain lifts..
FYI. my rear DS interfered with the OEM evap skid plate... with a 3" lift...

so yea a 4" lift wouldn't cause any issues. :atomic: ...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Like I said in another thread:

"1997 called. They want their TJ lift advice back."

Seriously, so many places are recommending 4 or even 6 inch lifts to clear 35's on a JK like they are TJ's. They are either trying to sell people more lift than they need to earn a bigger commission, not to mention all the other parts they will sell you when your stock parts crap out, or just plain ignorant.

Go 2.5 inches. 35's will fit if you want but 33's will look good too. 33's on a 4 inch will look like a roller skate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah after even further reading I'm think the Tereflex 2.5" BB with shocks kit is all I need and use the extra money for some new head lights cause I don't have the heavy bumpers or winch so no added wight and no need for the springs just yet.

·
Registered
679 Posts
There you go ... Smart move.
A friend did this BB and has a bumper with winch and skid plates it seems to be holding up fine. He doesn't off road like I do but that's not due to the lift. Also another Jeeper I met on a trail had this lift and was running 35's and was doing some pretty hard stuff. She also had a winch with a heavier bumper on the front. So it's not a pretty good setup..
Examine your brake lines and make sure they are long enough at full flex. His where very close to not being long enough. I think he bought new ones just because they were stretched to the limit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts