Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my RC 4" lift on my 04 rubi. After an adjustable track bar. New steering stabilizer. And removing my 2" coil spacers from the front (and the back tomorrow). I had no choice but to get new tires to cure my DW. I chose the 35x12.50r15 pro comp xtreme m/t. But I'm not sure if they are going to rub at full flex. Going to test it tomorrow after I remove and replace the coil spacers with stock ones. But if they rub on my fenders I'm not sure what to do to fix it. New fenders? Or different flares. I don't want to ruin my jeep by cutting the fenders all up. So what other options do I have?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that they look good. But I don't want to cut mine up like that. Just invade I want to change up my fender flares at any given time. I would be SOL if I cut mine to put those flat fenders on. But the idea is in the back of my head.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Rubbing on the flares is nothing to worry about. Rubbing on the fender is something to worry about. You will most likely rub, but you do have choices. You can add bumpstops which will severly limit your uptravel to keep your tires out of the fenders. You can add a body lift to give the extra clearance and open up the possibilities of a tummy tuck down the line. You can highline your current fenders or get tube or MCE fenders like sloppy did. I'd do the BL in your situation since you don't want to cut your stockers. That is unless you can afford full replacement tube fenders like PSC or MetalCloaks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have 2" extended bumpstops. And what do you mean by high line my fenders? And what's the difference between the metal cloak and msc vs smittybilt tube fenders?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Well I have 2" extended bumpstops. And what do you mean by high line my fenders? And what's the difference between the metal cloak and msc vs smittybilt tube fenders?
Highline you cut your hood and move your stock fenders up higher. It usually requires a few adjustments in your engine bay too. AEV makes a pricey kit.

Metalcloaks are a full fender replacement. MCE reuses the stock fender to mount the new addon part to but you need to get out your sawzall to do some "trimming".

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh. That high line set up looks goofy IMO. But I don't know which way ill go. Guess ill find out wen the time comes. I kinda like the smittybilt flat fenders with no rear flares. But that's $350 I could use towards bumper, winch, lights, so on and so forth

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
As stated above... you will rub.... I have 4" lift, 1.25" body lift and 2.75" bump stop extensions up front just or my 33's not to mangle my fenders... the metal... not the flares. They just barely touch the plastic right on the fender where the flare meets the fender... not hard enough to push it up and mangle it.

I would go with 1.25" BL as well.... I did.. lol!!! and it set me up nicely for the TT.

for reference.....

even though these are poser pics on a 36" wall, you can see that you will need bump stop adjustment at full stuff. This is a my 4" SL and 1.25" BL on 33's ( I do have Rubi flares which let the tires inside a bit more )

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
On my dad's rig he opted for metal cloaks because he didn't want to cut his hood. Personally I would have gone with sinister fab highline fenders. For bump stops we went a little on the crazy side, SAW air bumps and cans to replace the stock ones.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
Same 35" Procomp Xtreme Mt's, 3" springs, 1.25" BL, MCE front fenders, Correct length bumpstop extensions, and no rubbing.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Same 35" Procomp Xtreme Mt's, 3" springs, 1.25" BL, MCE front fenders, Correct length bumpstop extensions, and no rubbing.
That would be key......

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I swapped my rear spacers out today and took it to play a little bit and had no rubbing. But I didn't have it at full flex. I don't have anything around the house to fully flex it. My shocks only allow for 14" of travel so idk if that's good or not. I'm considering a 1" bl. But I don't want to deal with all the problems of mml and radiator drop brackets and 4wd linkage. Seems like more trouble than its worth IMO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TJDave said:
How much we're your mce fenders? An how hard was the installation?

·
Banned
20 Posts
4x4jeeptj said:
Well I swapped my rear spacers out today and took it to play a little bit and had no rubbing. But I didn't have it at full flex. I don't have anything around the house to fully flex it. My shocks only allow for 14" of travel so idk if that's good or not. I'm considering a 1" bl. But I don't want to deal with all the problems of mml and radiator drop brackets and 4wd linkage. Seems like more trouble than its worth IMO.
When I did my 1 inch body lift I didn't need the linkage bracket and I cut my fan shroud so I didn't have to use the brackets. It took my 1 hour to do it and it's fine. If your gonna do tube fenders which I do recommend I would go with a rep. company and something solid. The fenders you were inquiring about the price on look like they are held on by sheet metal screws. Not very stout. I went cheap and slapped on some smittybilt tube fenders and they are solid. I had to cut the stock fenders and not the hood. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Don't be afraid to cut on your jeep. These things are like tinker toys and everyone makes parts for them so there is no shortage.

·
Registered
162 Posts
4x4jeeptj said:
How much we're your mce fenders? An how hard was the installation?
I got mine for $350 shipped. The installation is pretty straight forward, though the first cut is always hardest.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
The MCE fenders were a breeze to install. I did it in a couple hours.

Tube/flatty fenders: (steel vs flexible fenders, and full replacement vs cutting up originals). The debate will continue long after I leave this earth.

Most everyone will push what they spent their money on.

I wheel in the PNW with lots of trees, hills, and often slippery conditions. I have seen what a "solid" steel tube fender can do to a Jeep tub after an impact. My stock fenders where also messed up from a couple tree hits, so they where worthless as far as re-selling them goes.

My choice for MCE fenders was a no brainer. Lifetime warranty too.:thumb:

·
Registered
165 Posts
MCE has the TJ Gen 2 front fenders for $369 for 3" flare or $384 for 4.5 or 6" flare. Depending on your local laws you may need more tire coverage. Not too shabby if you want a great quality and forgiving product. Plus they look awesome. I plan on purchasing a set after new set of tires for my TJ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts