Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home Saturday I took the long way - that's the great thing about driving a Jeep, right? You look for off-pavement routes to get where you're going. Due to the recent rains, there was a lot of mud and quite a few dug out holes. I'm not one to get a ton of mud on my ride or rip through a hole (especially alone and with the top down...) I was creeping through and dropping it into 4-Hi just in case before I went through. I dropped it down into 4-Lo just to see and really liked the gearing for the rest of the trip - I like to take my time and go fairly slow and found that I wasn't having to shift the manual nearly as much on hills and such with it in low range. I know it's no problem to ride in 4wd on dirt (but a no-no on pavement.) Are there any problems with creeping along in low range? I can't think of any, but wanted to check with the collective brain trust here.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ive never done it in my Jeep but did it all the time in my old blazer and power wagon, never an issue.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Nope, ive spend most a day in low range on multiple trails. Neither me or anyone else there has had any issues because of that

·
Registered
224 Posts
i was doing the same thing the other day.. seems to me everything felt right.
i love creeping along. gives you a chance to look around

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was doing the same thing the other day.. seems to me everything felt right.
i love creeping along. gives you a chance to look around
That's my point exactly! It just felt right! Glad someone gets it :)

Thanks for the replies folks - I didn't think there would be any issues, but I did want to make sure. :punk:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Oh yeah, on the trail I generally keep it in 4-lo and the tranny is usually in 3rd gear and I barely hit the gas... kinda idle around. Uphill I shift into 2nd, and 1st if things get tough, like crossing rocks - it really creeps and you don't have to shift as much. If I know the trail is easy, I might shift up into 4-high.
But to answer your question, I have never had any trouble creeping around in low range all day. If your transfer case is in good shape and fluids are good, there should be no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts